Transferring F-1 Status to Boston University

This section is for new students or returning students who are already in F-1 status and wish to transfer to Boston University from another school in the U.S. It will describe the steps you need to take to comply with school transfer regulations of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

USCIS Form I-20

In order to transfer your status to Boston University, you must be admitted for full-time study and be issued a Boston University Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status (USCIS Form I-20). Please see our section for admissions information if you have not yet been admitted to the University for full-time study.

Read all information on your I-20. If any information on that form is incorrect, immediately contact the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO). If all information is correct, complete item 11 on page one (1).

If you have dependents (spouse and/or children under the age of 21) who are in the U.S. in F-2 status, they will be issued separate I-20 forms so they can obtain F-2 visas and enter the country with you or to join you later.(See section on F-2 Dependents for more information.)

Two Ways to Process a Transfer

A school transfer can be processed in two ways:

  1. By remaining in the U.S. and requesting that the ISSO notify the USCIS of your transfer, or
  2. By reentering from outside the U.S. using the Boston University I-20 before starting classes.

The way you choose to process the transfer is your decision. Either way is acceptable as long as you follow proper procedures.

Additional Information

The ISSO is pleased to provide you with information, advice, and assistance on any visa or immigration matter that relates to your activities at Boston University. If you are in the Boston area, we invite you to contact us and make an appointment to speak with your ISSO advisor.