School of Visual Arts Graduate Admissions
Graduate Application Instructions
The School of Visual Arts offers a MFA in Graphic Design, Painting, and Sculpture and a MA in Art Education, and Studio Teaching. Apply online now.
Prospective students must apply ll portfolios must be submitted digitally at bucfa.slideroom.com. DVDs, CDs, and paper portfolios will not be reviewed or returned. We cannot accept paper recommendations. All recommendations must be submitted through the online application. Please do not send transcripts to the BU College of Fine Arts; they should be sent to our transcript processing center (details below).
Graduate applicants to the College of Fine Arts must submit a complete application, including all supporting materials before submitting a portfolio.
Your application must be completed online and submitted electronically once you have entered the required information. You may access your application and change your answers as many times as you like before submitting it by using your Web Login from any computer. Please note that in order to complete the online application, you must pay the application fee online using a credit card. The GRE is not required.
Steps to Apply
- Complete your application online: Enter all of your personal and academic information.
- Submit Application: Please pay the application fee using your credit card. Only when the fee is paid will your completed application be sent to Boston University.
- Upload Forms: Upload transcripts from all college attended, and other supplemental forms (résumé, essay, etc.) that are required to your application. (see Requirements for All Applicants)
- Please do not send transcripts to us.
Transcripts should be sent to our Processing Center by mail:
BU College of Fine Arts Transcript Processing Center
PO Box 9202
Watertown, MA 02471
or electronically at email@example.com.
- January 16. The application, supporting materials, and portfolio are all required by this date. TOEFL or IELTS scores for international students must be received by this date.
Graduate International Students
Graduate international applicants must prove English proficiency in one of two ways.
1.) By completing a bachelor’s degree and submitting an official transcript from an institution in which English was the language of instruction before the time of enrollment at BU.
2.) Submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score that meets or exceeds the minimum requirement of 84.
We look closely at the score for each section rather than the total and for consistency across all subscores within a single language proficiency test. Students who are most competitive for admission will present a composite TOEFL score of at least 90-100 and scores of 20 or higher on each subsection.
For more information, please go here. Your questions are welcome and we are happy to assist you. Please send us an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Completed application online for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts.
- Portfolio digitally submitted—specific portfolio requirements for each major can be found here.
- Non-refundable application fee of $95 submitted using online application.
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals/educators. These must be submitted online through your application.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended uploaded to your application.
- A one-page personal statement indicating the applicant’s purpose in pursuing graduate work, career objectives, and particular interest in BU.
- Artistic résumé.