Graduate Application Instructions
The School of Visual Arts offers the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in Graphic Design, Painting, and Sculpture and the Master of Arts (MA) degree in Art Education, and Studio Teaching.
Applicants to the College of Fine Arts must submit a complete application, including all supporting materials before submitting a portfolio.
Your application must be completed online and submitted electronically once you have entered the required information. You may access your application and change your answers as many times as you like before submitting it by using your Web Login from any computer. Please note that in order to complete the online application, you must pay the application fee online using a credit card.
Steps to Apply
- Fill Out the Application: This is where all of your personal and academic information is entered.
- Submit Application: This allows you to pay the application fee using your credit card. Only when the fee is paid will your completed application be sent to Boston University.
- Upload Forms: Upload all supplemental forms (résumé, essay, etc.) that are required.
- February 1 for all on-campus Visual Arts graduate programs. The application, supporting materials, and portfolio are all required by this date. TOEFL or IELTS scores for international students must be received by this date.
International students must prove English proficiency in one of two ways.
1. By completing a degree from an institution in which English was the language of instruction before the time of enrollment at BU.
2. By submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score that meets or exceeds our minimum requirement. For more information, please go here.
Your questions are welcome and we are happy to assist you. Please send us an email to: email@example.com.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Completed application online for graduate admission to the College of Fine Arts.
- Portfolio digitally submitted—specific portfolio requirements for each major can be found here.
- Non-refundable application fee of $95 submitted using online application.
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals/educators. These must be submitted online using supplied Letter of Recommendation Request Form.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, requested by applicant.
- Personal statement indicating the applicant’s purpose in pursuing graduate work, career objectives, and particular interest in BU.
- Artistic résumé.