University Policy

School of Education Policy

Doctoral Candidate Registration Options

Doctoral (EdD) candidates must register each term until all degree requirements have been met, unless granted a leave of absence. Students must be registered during the semester in which the comprehensive exams, the dissertation proposal, and the final dissertation hearing are held.

Students who require full-time certification as a part-time student for loan or visa purposes should contact the SED Student Records Office at 617-353-4235 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 617-353-4235 FREE  end_of_the_skype_highlighting to determine whether they meet the specific conditions under which such certification is possible.

There are four registration options:

Option 1: Registration in a Boston University course for a minimum of 3 credits. Tuition and fees are assessed at the rate of the school or college in which the course is offered.

Option 2: Registration for dissertation advisement for a minimum of 3 credits.

Option 3: Registration in an independent study course, with the approval of the instructor monitoring the study and department chairman, for a minimum of 3 credits. Students who wish to defer loans, see Option 4.

Option 4: Registration for the continuing study course SED ED 950. This noncredit course entitles the student to use libraries, research laboratories, academic staff, and academic facilities of the University for the purpose of completing examination, research, and thesis or dissertation work. This registration status may allow for the deferral of certain loans or obtain appropriate visa coding for international student status. (See “Student Loans” under the “SED Graduate Financial Aid.”)

Nondegree Graduate Students

All graduate students registering for courses who have not been admitted into a degree/certificate program at the University are considered nondegree students. Nondegree students are required to register through the SED Student Records Office, room 127. Nondegree students may transfer up to 8 credit hours into a degree or certificate program (see: Transfer Credits).

Undergraduate Students

Adding or Dropping a Course

Please refer to the University-wide policy.

Academic Load

Please refer to the University-wide policy.