BA/MA and BA/MS Programs
The College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) and the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences (GRS) jointly offer a number of Bachelor of Arts/Master of Arts (BA/MA) and Bachelor of Arts/Master of Science (BA/MS) programs, which enable qualified students entering their fifth semester to pursue undergraduate and graduate studies concurrently. (See main CAS Programs page or main GRS Programs page for programs of study that offer a BA/MA or a BA/MS option.)
Students in a BA/MA or BA/MS program, in consultation with their BA/MA or BA/MS faculty advisor, develop a plan of study that focuses on greater depth and integration of concepts in the chosen discipline. The number of required courses ranges from 36 to 40, minimizing duplication of coursework while ensuring that students complete a full BA and a full master’s experience, including theses or capstone components.
Important Notes for Prospective BA/MA or BA/MS Students
- Planning ahead. Prospective students are urged to contact the department BA/MA or BA/MS advisor well in advance of application to begin development of their plan of study.
- Departmental requirements. Detailed statements of departmental requirements are available from the BA/MA or BA/MS advisor in the appropriate department.
- Limited to certain areas of study. In most cases, the BA/MA or BA/MS programs restrict major fields of study to those fields in which the MA or MS is offered in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences; be aware that the BA/MA or BA/MS programs are limited to certain areas of study and are not available in all programs.
- Dual degree students. The BA/MA or BA/MS programs are not available to Boston University dual degree program students.
- BA portion. The BA/MA or BA/MS programs are designed primarily for students with one CAS BA major. BA/MA or BA/MS applications from students with two or more CAS majors will be reviewed by the GRS Associate Dean for satisfactory academic progress, upon a recommendation of admission from the department to which a student applies.
- Restricted to CAS students, with caveats. The BA/MA or BA/MS programs are restricted to students enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences. Students enrolled in other undergraduate colleges at Boston University must apply for an intra-University transfer into the College of Arts & Sciences before making an application to this program.
- BA/MA and BA/MS program applications and deadlines are available on the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences website.
- The earliest you may apply is the spring of the sophomore (fourth semester of enrollment) year for admission into the program at the start of the junior (fifth semester of enrollment) year. The latest you may apply is the spring semester of your junior year (sixth semester of enrollment).
- Applicants must meet a GPA requirement of at least 3.0 at the time of application (some departments may have higher requirements; please consult with the department’s BA/MA or BA/MS advisor).
Students in BA/MA and BA/MS programs only need to submit an Intent to Graduate form to the College of Arts & Sciences in accordance with their deadlines. GRS does not require BA/MA or BA/MS students to submit a second Intent to Graduate form to the GRS office. GRS will obtain tentative BA/MA and BA/MS graduation lists from CAS and review in the regular manner.
The CAS Intent to Graduate form is available online or at CAS Academic Advising at 100 Bay State Road, on the fourth floor. This form must be filed no later than one year before the intended date of graduation.