Program Coordinators (PCs) are the backbone of the Orientation office. From answering phone calls to planning Orientation session logistics, PCs are responsible for ensuring each Orientation session and event runs smoothly.
Program Coordinator Experiences
- Gain experience working in a fast-paced, professional office working 35-40 hours a week, Monday through Friday throughout the summer
- Provide top of the line customer service for new students in all interactions, including but not limited to registering students for an Orientations session, planning for any special accommodations, and troubleshooting questions/concerns over phone, email, and in person
- Plan and execute behind-the-scenes logistics for large scale Orientation sessions, as well as gain exposure to, and network with different offices and programs across BU
- Manage logistics for Orientation sessions including but not limited to, adjusting student registration information, creating information packets for Orientation team members, and communicating with different BU departments
- Troubleshoot issues as the arise. Develop an increased level of comfort with making quick decisions, and knowing when to ask for help from Orientation senior staff
- Working closely with colleagues and senior staff to plan Orientation programming, including creating various session documents such as signage, attendee master lists, assigning incoming students’ Orientation group numbers, creating student evaluations, etc.
- Assist with day-of logistics during Orientation sessions, including but not limited to: assisting with setup (i.e. hanging up signs and balloons, preparing Orientation materials, etc.) seating students and family members, checking in students
Dates of Employment
Training will be from Monday, May 22, 2023 through Friday, June 2, 2023. PCs can start working during Spring finals week as long as all onboarding paperwork has been completed. Attendance at all training and Orientation dates is mandatory.
|Session 1||Tuesday, June 6, 2023 – Thursday, June 8, 2023|
|Session 2||Tuesday, June 13, 2023 – Thursday, June 15, 2023|
|Session 3||Tuesday, June 20, 2023 – Thursday, June 22, 2023|
|Session 4||Tuesday, June 27, 2023 – Thursday, June 29, 2023|
|Session 5||Monday, August 28, 2023 – Saturday, September 2, 2023|
|Matriculation||Sunday, September 3, 2023|
|Winter Orientation||Tuesday, January 24, 2024 – Wednesday, January 25, 2024|
Program Coordinators work Monday through Friday, 9am – 5pm. Hours differ during Orientation session days. PCs work on average 35-40 hours a week.
- PC positions are available to all undergraduate students not graduating in May 2023
- Transfer students are encouraged to apply
- PCs must remain in good academic, judicial and financial standing with Boston University
- Program Coordinators are compensated $15.00/hour
- PCs will be provided with summer housing in a BU apartment-style residence. Exact locations will be announced by BU Housing in May
- Hours may vary slightly based upon needs of each Orientation session and its planning, but every effort will be made to keep hours within the previously listed projections
Other things to Note
- There will be no options for remote work. Orientation will be fully in-person
- PCs are not allowed to take classes during Summer Term 1, as it will conflict directly with Orientation responsibilities
- PCs are eligible to take classes during Summer Term 2 but must ensure class(es) won’t conflict with assigned Orientation responsibilities/tasks. Please discuss potential class schedule with the Orientation leadership team before registering for Summer Term 2 classes