BU Google Drive is suitable to store your Google Docs and Sheets and is an excellent collaboration tool for working on shared documents. Drive is available for faculty, students and staff.
- Faculty/Staff do not have access by default, but can request access.
- BU Google Drive is InfoSec approved to store confidential information.
- Offers storage space with your BU account.
- Great alternative to Crashplan for BU Faculty/Staff as you can access your files anywhere where there is an internet connection.
Shared Drive Creation
- As of August 31, 2023, the creation of new BU Google Shared Drives will no longer be allowed. This is due to the need to set quotas on the amount of data in our BU Google tenant. Google now charges by the amount of data we have in our tenant, and shared drives take up a significant portion of our overall data quota.
- Faculty and Staff clients are able to use BU Dropbox accounts and create a Dropbox Team folder. BU Dropbox licenses are available at no cost, and accounts can hold up to one terabyte (TB) of data.
- NOTE: Existing Google Shared Drives are not affected at this time. Existing Shared Drives will be under review as part of the BU Google Data Migration project that will run between August 2023 and June 2024.
Uploading via Drive Application
Google Drive offers the Google Drive for desktop application, which is available to BU faculty, students, and staff.
- Google Drive for desktop – Appears as a network drive and it downloads files as they are used saving space on your computer. This application allows for folders/files to be used in Offline mode.
- Learn more about about Google Drive for desktop features comparison
Google Drive for Desktop
Installation for Mac
- Download the .dmg installer for Mac
- Open the downloaded .dmg file by double clicking its icon.
- Install by dragging and dropping the Google Drive icon into the Applications folder shown.
- Run Google Drive and login with your BU login and password and verify when you see the BU login screen.
- When the installation finishes, the Google Drive icon should appear on the menu bar in the upper right-hand corner.
- Open the Google Drive folder. If you have any documents previously stored on Google Drive, they should be syncing to your folder unless you chose not to sync specific folders.
- Drag and drop any files that you would like to back up to Google Drive. A sync icon will appear letting you know that the file is being uploaded.
- A green check mark will appear once the file is uploaded. You can verify if the file has been uploaded by visiting https://drive.google.com/a/bu.edu/ and checking for your file there.
Installation for Windows
- Download the .exe installer for Windows
- Run the installation file from the download directory.
- Sign into Google drive using your BU email address. Verify your login information at the BU login screen.
- When the installation finishes, you should see the Google Drive icon in the taskbar at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Open the Google Drive folder and drag and drop any files you would like backed up to Google Drive. A sync icon should appear while the file is syncing to the server.
- A green check mark should appear once the file has been successfully uploaded. Verify that the upload has finished via the web interface: https://drive.google.com/a/bu.edu/
Uploading via Web
- Navigate to https://drive.google.com/a/bu.edu/ preferably with Google Chrome if you would like to upload entire folders without installing the Drive application to your computer.
- Login with your BU email. Verify your email at the BU portal if prompted.
- Select either file or folder depending on what you would like to upload.
- Alternatively, you can just drag and drop the files/folders into your web browser while you are on the Google Drive page.