- Additional Titles:Affiliated Faculty, Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program, BU College of
Arts and Sciences
Affiliated Faculty and Researcher, Center for Antiracist Research
Affiliated Faculty, Center for Innovation in Social Science (CISS)
- Education:BA, Psychology, University of Denver, Denver CO
BS, Human Nutrition, University of Massachusetts/Amherst, Amherst, MA
MS, Clinical Nutrition, Rush University, Chicago, IL
PhD, Nutrition & Metabolism, Boston University School of Medicine, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences, Boston, MA
- Website or Lab: Research
Scholarly and Practice Interests
- Diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice among healthcare professionals and within healthcare professions, particularly dietetics
- The influences of gender upon and within female-dominated healthcare professions
- Critical, feminist perspectives of food, nutrition, eating, and bodies
- HS 783 Metabolic Regulation in Clinical Nutrition
- HS 785 Research in Clinical Nutrition
- HS 384/584 Medical Nutrition Therapy I
- HS 467 Undergraduate Nutrition Research
- HS 742 Nutrition & Disease Prevention: A Lifecourse Approach
- HS 395 Food, Supplements, and Consumer Health
Submitted for peer review
- DeBiasse MA, Peters S, Baderha, B. Dress codes for dietetics programs: A discourse analysis. (Under review, Feminism & Psychology 2022)
- Burt KG, DeBiasse MA, Qamar Z. #InclusiveDietetics: A social media campaign improves beliefs associated with racial and ethnic diversity, equity, and inclusion in the dietetics profession. (Under review, Journal of Critical Dietetics, 2022)
- DeBiasse MA, Branham A, McFarland N. Experiences of LGBTQ-identifying students, interns, and practitioners of dietetics. Journal of Critical Dietetics. 2022;6(2):7-23.
- Burt KG, Ruder LH, DeBiasse MA. We need data! The importance of collecting more and better data to achieve a diverse, inclusive profession. The Digest. 2021;55(4):1-7/
- DeBiasse MA, Burt KG, Branham AK, Breeding Z. IDEA: Let’s design, conduct, and report research with diversity and inclusion in mind. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2022;122(1):30. (IF: 4.91; #citations: 0)
- DeBiasse MA, Qamar Z, Burt KG. A social media intervention for dietetics professionals to increase awareness about racial/ethnic diversity and inclusion in dietetics: Black voices centered. Journal of Critical Dietetics. 2021:6(1):40-48.
- DeBiasse MA, Burt KG. Inclusion is an action word. Journal of Critical Dietetics. 2019;4(2):86-90.
- DeBiasse MA, Bowen DJ, Quatromoni P, Quinn E, Quintiliani LM. Feasibility and acceptability of dietary intake assessment via 24-hour recall and food frequency questionnaire among women with low socioeconomic status. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2018;118(2): 301-307.
- DeBiasse MA, Bowen DJ, Pagoto SL, Massaro JM, Istfan N, Quintiliani LM. Pilot and feasibility test of an implementation intention intervention to improve fruit and vegetable intake among women with low socioeconomic status. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice 2017;10(2):156-174.
- DeBiasse MA, Bowen DJ, Pagoto SL, Massaro JM, Istfan N and Quintiliani LM. The role of attitude, control and intention to explain fruit and vegetable intake among racial/ethnic minority women with low socioeconomic status. Int J Nutr Sci. 2017; 2(1): 1015
- Quintiliani, L.M., DeBiasse, M.A, Branco J.M., Bhosrekar, S. G., Rorie, J.L, Bowen, D.J. Enhancing physical and social environments to reduce obesity among public housing residents: Rationale, trial design, and baseline data for the Healthy Families study. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2014; 39, 201-210
Selected Invited Presentations/Webinars/Podcasts
- DeBiasse MA, Peters S, Baderha B. Dress Codes Written for Dietetics Education Programs: A Foucauldian Discourse Analysis. Association for Women in Psychology, 2022 Annual Conference, March 5-7 2022, Chicago, IL and virtual.
- DeBiasse MA, Branham AK, McFarland NR. Experiences of LGBTQ-identifying students, interns, and practitioners of dietetics. 2021 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo, October 2021. (Virtual).
- “Blacks and Racism in the Dietetics Field: From Diet Related Disparities to Racial Microaggression,” World Critical Dietetics, April 22, 2021 (Webinar)
- “Diversity and Inclusion in Dietetics: Educators as Allies and Advocates” Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/Nutrition and Dietetics Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) (with Katherine Burt, PhD, RDN, CUNY/Lehman College, NY, July 6, 2020 (Webinar)
- “Inclusive Dietetics” Diversify Dietetics, Season 3 Episode 1, January 24, 2020 (Podcast)
- Food & Nutrition Conference and Expo (FNCE) 2020
- Burt KG, Rajan A, Qamar Z, DeBiasse MA. A social media intervention for dietetics professionals to increase awareness about racial/ethnic diversity and inclusion in dietetics: Black voices centered. Abstract/poster presented at Massachusetts Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Conference and Expo; April 3, 2020; Norwood, MA. (Rescheduled for October 2020.)
- Massachusetts Academy of Nutrition and Dietehttps://www.diversifydietetics.org/podcast/2020/1/23/season-3-episode-1-inclusive-dietetictics Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, “Women at work: Does gender affect women’s ability to successfully work, lead and negotiate?” Massachusetts Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2018 Annual Conference & Expo, 2018
- DeBiasse MA, Bowen DJ, Quatromoni PA, Quinn EM, Quintiliani, LM. Acceptability of dietary intake assessment via 24-hour recall and food frequency questionnaire among women with low socioeconomic status. Abstract/poster presented at Massachusetts Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Conference and Expo; March 23, 2018; Norwood, MA.
Selected Professional Activities
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Dietetics Education
- Peer reviewer, Journals: Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; Health Equality; Journal of Health Disparity Research & Practice; Nutrients
- Peer reviewer, Books: Nutrition Support Core Curriculum: A Case-Based Approach. Gottschlich, MM, ed. (2007); Contemporary Issues in Nutrition Support Practice: A Clinical Guide, 2nd ed. (2003); Krause MV, Mahan LK. Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy, 11th ed. (2002)
Selected Awards and Honors
- Diversity & Inclusion Promotion Grant from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2020 ($10,000)
- The Virginia E. Pinney Award for outstanding leadership potential in the field of dietetics. Rush University, Department of Clinical Nutrition. December, 1987
Licenses and Certification
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Commission on Dietetic Registration, Chicago, IL