- Additional Titles:Affiliated Faculty, Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program, BU College of
Arts and Sciences
- Education:BA, Psychology, University of Denver, Denver CO
BS, Human Nutrition, University of Massachusetts/Amherst, Amherst, MA
MS, Clinical Nutrition, Rush University, Chicago, IL
PhD, Nutrition & Metabolism, Boston University School of Medicine, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences, Boston, MA
- Office:635 Commonwealth Ave
Scholarly and Practice Interests
Equity, diversity and inclusion in the education, training, and practice of healthcare professionals, particularly Registered Dietitian Nutritionists; Exposition of the influences of gender upon female-dominated healthcare professions; Application of critical, feminist perspectives to food, nutrition, eating, and bodies.
- HS 783 Metabolic Regulation in Clinical Nutrition
- HS 785 Research in Clinical Nutrition
- HS 400/CAS WS 400 Gender and Healthcare
- DeBiasse MA, Burt KG. Inclusion is an action word. Journal of Critical Dietetics. 2019;4(2):86-90.
- DeBiasse MA, Bowen DJ, Quatromoni P, Quinn E, Quintiliani LM. Feasibility and acceptability of dietary intake assessment via 24-hour recall and food frequency questionnaire among women with low socioeconomic status. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2018;118(2): 301-307.
- DeBiasse MA, Bowen DJ, Pagoto SL, Massaro JM, Istfan N, Quintiliani LM. Pilot and feasibility test of an implementation intention intervention to improve fruit and vegetable intake among women with low socioeconomic status. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice 2017;10(2):156-174.
- DeBiasse MA, Bowen DJ, Pagoto SL, Massaro JM, Istfan N and Quintiliani LM. The role of attitude, control and intention to explain fruit and vegetable intake among racial/ethnic minority women with low socioeconomic status. Int J Nutr Sci. 2017; 2(1): 1015
- Pagoto SL, Schneider KL, Jojic M, DeBiasse MA, Mann DM. Weight loss using evidence-based strategies in mobile apps. Authors’ response. Am J Prev Med. 2014 Jul;47(1):e2.
- Quintiliani, L.M., DeBiasse, M.A, Branco J.M., Bhosrekar, S. G., Rorie, J.L, Bowen, D.J. Enhancing physical and social environments to reduce obesity among public housing residents: Rationale, trial design, and baseline data for the Healthy Families study. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2014; 39, 201-210
- Whited MC, Schneider KL, Appelhans BM, Ma Y, Waring ME, DeBiasse MA, Busch AM, Oleski JL, Merriam PA, Olendzki BC, Crawford SL, Ockene IS, Lemon SC, Pagoto SL. Severity of depressive symptoms and accuracy of dietary reporting among obese women with major depressive disorder seeking weight loss treatment. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 28;9(2):e90361.
- Pagoto S, Schneider K, Jojic M, DeBiasse M, Mann D. Evidence-based strategies in weight-loss mobile apps. Am J Prev Med. 2013 Nov;45(5):576-82.
- Busch AM, Whited MC, Appelhans BM, Schneider KL, Waring ME, DeBiasse MA, Oleski JL, Crawford SL, Pagoto SL. Reliable change in depression during behavioral weight loss treatment among women with major depression. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Mar;21(3):E211-8.
- Appelhans BM, Waring ME, Schneider KL, Pagoto SL, DeBiasse MA, Whited MC, Lynch EB: Delay discounting and intake of ready-to-eat and away-from-home foods in overweight and obese women. Appetite; 2012; 59:576-584.
- DeBiasse MA. Wound care: pressure ulcers. In: Skipper A, ed. American Dietetic Association’s Nutrition Care Manual. Chicago, IL: American Dietetic Association; 2009. http://www.adancm.org
- DeBiasse-Fortin MA. Minerals and trace elements. In Contemporary Issues in Nutrition Support Practice: A clinical Guide, 2nd edition. Martarese L, Gottschlich MM, eds. Elsevier Science/WB Saunders, St. Louis, MO, 2003
- Bae R, Orgill D, DeBiasse MA, Demling RH. Management of a patient with advanced AIDS and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis using human growth hormone and G-CSF. AIDS Patient Care & STDs 1997;11(3):125-129
- Gamliel Z, DeBiasse MA, Demling RH. Essential microminerals and their response to burn injury. Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation 1996;17(3):264-272
- Demling RH, DeBiasse MA. Micronutrients in critical illness. Critical Care Clinics of North America 1995;11:651-673
- DeBiasse MA, Wilmore DW. What is optimal nutrition support? New Horizons: the Science and Practice of Acute Medicine 1994;2:122-30
Selected Invited Presentations
- Massachusetts Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, “Women at work: Does gender affect women’s ability to successfully work, lead and negotiate?” Massachusetts Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2018 Annual Conference & Expo, 2018
- DeBiasse MA, Bowen DJ, Quatromoni PA, Quinn EM, Quintiliani, LM. Acceptability of dietary intake assessment via 24-hour recall and food frequency questionnaire among women with low socioeconomic status. Abstract/poster presented at Massachusetts Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Annual Conference and Expo; March 23, 2018; Norwood, MA.
- Appelhans BM, Woolf K, DeBiasse MA, Whited MC, Pagoto SL, Schneider KL: Delay Discounting, Food Convenience, and Energy Intake Among Overweight and Obese Women. (Poster) Society of Behavioral Medicine 33rd Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, LA, April 11-14, 2012.
- Michele DeBiasse presents The Theory of Planned Behavior and Implementation Intentions. Hosted by Boston University College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences: Sargent College, this presentation was a part of an online, virtual conference, “Health Matters,” which took place on September 17, 2015.
- Whited MC, Waring ME, Appelhans BM, Schneider KL, DeBiasse MA, Busch AM, Oleski J, Merriam P, Ma Y, Olendzki B, Crawford S, Lemon S, Pagoto SL: Pre-treatment Weight Change and Weight-Loss Treatment Outcome in Obese Women with Depression. (Poster) Society of Behavioral Medicine 33rd Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, LA, April 11-14, 2012.
- Whited MC, Schneider KL, Appelhans BM, Ma Y, Waring, ME, DeBiasse MA, Busch AM, Oleski J, Merriam P, Olendzki B, Crawford S, Ockene I, Pagoto SL: Under-reporting of Caloric Intake Among Obese Women with Depression. (Poster) Society of Behavioral Medicine 33rd Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, LA, April 11-14, 2012.
- Bush AM, Whited MC, Appelhans BM, Schneider KL, DeBiasse MA, Oleski J, Waring ME, Curtin C, Pagoto SL: Does Behavioral Weight Loss Treatment Reliably Improve or Worsen Depression Among Women with Major Depression. (Poster) Society of Behavioral Medicine 33rd Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, LA, April 11-14, 2012.
- Lenders CL, Heinrick JR, DeBiasse MA, Gorman KA: Secondary Prevention of Obesity Among Children Age 5 and Under. (Poster) Experimental Biology annual meeting, Washington DC, April 7, 2011.
- DeBruijn S, DeBiasse MA. (May, 2006) Development of a nutrition risk screening tool for oncology patients. (poster session) Massachusetts Dietetic Association, Norwood, MA
- DeBiasse MA. (September, 2004) An update on the management of obesity. (oral presentation) Boston University School of Medicine/Quincy Medical Center, Quincy, MA
- DeBiasse MA. (November, 2002) An endocrinology update for the primary care provider with a special focus on diabetes. (oral presentation). Boston University School of Medicine/Quincy Medical Center, Quincy, MA
- Lanifero A, Patton K, DeBiasse-Fortin MA. (May, 2002) Diabetes self-management education: Does a limited inpatient education improve knowledge? (poster session) Massachusetts Dietetic Association, Norwood, MA
- DeBiasse MA. (June, 2001) Mineral and trace elements in critical illness. (oral presentation) Massachusetts Dietetic Association/Dietitians in Nutrition Support Practice Group. Boston, MA
Selected Professional Activities
- Peer reviewer, Journals: Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; Health Equality; Journal of Health Disparity Research & Practice; Nutrients
- Peer reviewer, Books: Nutrition Support Core Curriculum: A Case-Based Approach. Gottschlich, MM, ed. (2007); Contemporary Issues in Nutrition Support Practice: A Clinical Guide, 2nd ed. (2003); Krause MV, Mahan LK. Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy, 11th ed. (2002)
Awards and Honors
- Diversity & Inclusion Promotion Grant from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2020
- The Virginia E. Pinney Award for outstanding leadership potential in the field of dietetics. Rush University, Department of Clinical Nutrition. December, 1987
Licenses and Certification
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Commission on Dietetic Registration, Chicago, IL