- Education:BS in Physical Education, University of California, Davis, 1986
MS in Exercise Science, University of California, Davis, 1994
PhD in Nutrition, University of California, Davis, 1997
Postdoctoral training, Energy Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, 1997-1999
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Roles of eating patterns, dietary composition and their interaction effects on energy regulation; Physiological and psychological factors influencing energy balance; Improvement in dietary intake, physical activity and body composition assessment methods.
(* denotes lead/corresponding authorship)
- Collins E, Cranford J, Polovich M, McCrory MA. A church-based culturally sensitive physical activity intervention in African American women. Western J Nurs Res, Submitted May 19, 2020. First published Sept 22, 2020.
- Fontana JM, Pan Z, Sazonov EE, McCrory MA, Thomas JG, McGrane KS, Marden T, Higgins JA. Reproducibility of dietary intake measurement from diet diaries, photographic food records, and a novel sensor method. Frontiers in Nutrition, Accepted on 04 June 2020 Front. Nutr. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2020.00099
- Jobarteh ML, McCrory MA, Lo B, Sun M, Sazonov E, Anderson AK, Jia W, Maitland K, Qui J, Steiner-Asiedu M, Higgins JA, Baranowski T, Olupot-Olupot P, Frost G. Development and validation of objective, passive, dietary assessment method for estimating food and nutrient intake in households in low and middle-income countries (LMICs): a study protocol. Curr Dev Nutr. Published online Feb 7, 2020.
- McCrory MA*, Harbaugh AG, Appeadu SM, Roberts SB, Thirty-year changes in fast food offerings in the United States (1986-2016) show large increases in food variety, portion size, energy, and selected micronutrients. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Feb. 2019. doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2018.12.004. (Epub ahead of print).
- Farooq M, Doulah A, Parton J, McCrory MA, Higgins J, Sazonov E. Validation of sensor based food intake detection by multi-camera video observation in an unconstrained environment. Nutrients 2019, 11, 609; doi:10.3390/nu11030609 (Special Issue on Advancement in Dietary Assessment and Self-Monitoring Using Technology).
- Yang X, Doulah A, Farooq M, Parton J, McCrory MA, Higgins JA, Sazonov E. Statistical models for meal- level estimation of mass and energy intake using features derived from video observation and a chewing sensor. Sci Reports 2019 Jan 10, 9:45. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-37161-
x. Epub 2019 Jan 10.
- Doulah A, Yang X, Parton J, Higgins J, McCrory MA, Sazonov E. The importance of field experiments in testing of sensors for dietary assessment and eating behavior monitoring. IEEE Explore: Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society July 2018: 5759-62. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8513623.
- Mott M, McCrory MA, Bandini L, Cabral HJ, Daniels SR, Singer MR, Moore LL. Egg intake has no adverse association with blood lipids or glucose in adolescent girls. J Amer Coll Nutr 2018 Oct 3. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2018.1469437. (Epub ahead of print).
- Martin AA, Davidson TL, McCrory MA. Deficits in episodic memory are related to uncontrolled eating in a sample of healthy adults. Appetite 2018 May 1;124:33-42. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2017.05.011. Epub 2017 May 4.
- Doulah A, Farooq M, Yang X, Parton J, McCrory MA, Higgins JA, Sazonov E. Meal microstructure characterization from sensor-based food intake detection. Front Nutr 2017 Jul 17;4:31. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2017.00031. eCollection 2017.
- McCrory MA*, Jaret CL, Kim J-H, Reitzes DL. Dietary patterns among Vietnamese and Hispanic immigrant elementary school children participating in an after school program. Nutrients 2017, 9(5), 460; doi:10.3390/nu9050460. (Special issue on Dietary Intake and Behavior in Children.)
- Amankwaah A, Sayer RD, Wright AJ, Chen N, McCrory MA, Campbell WW. Effects of higher dietary protein and fiber at breakfast on postprandial glucose, insulin, and 24-hour interstitial glucose in overweight adults. Nutrients 2017, 9, 352; doi:10.3390/nu9040352.
- Farooq M, McCrory MA, Sazonov E. Reduction of energy intake using just-in-time feedback from a wearable sensor system. Obesity 2017;25:676-81. doi: 10.1002/oby.21788. Epub 2017 Feb 24.
- Doulah A, McCrory MA, Higgins JA, Sazonov E. A systematic review of technology-driven methodologies for estimation of energy intake. IEEE Access, 24 April 2019, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2910308.
- Banna J, McCrory MA, Fialkowski Revilla M, Boushey CJ. Examining plausibility of self-reported energy intake data: considerations for method selection. Frontiers in Nutrition, 25 September 2017, doi: 10.3389/fnut.2017.00045.
- McCrory MA, Shaw AC, Lee JA. Energy and nutrient timing for weight control: Does timing of ingestion matter? Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am 2016;45:689–718 (Invited Submission).
- McCrory MA*. Meal skipping and variables related to energy balance in adults: a brief review, with emphasis on the breakfast meal. Physiol Behav 2014;134:51-4.
Books and Monographs
- McCrory MA (Ed). Dietary Fibers and Human Health. Nov 2017, MDPI, 383 pages. ISBN 978-3-03842-581-6 (Pbk) ISBN 978-3-03842-582-3 (PDF) Open Access. (This book is a printed edition of the special issue “Dietary Fibers and Human Health” that was published in Nutrients, under CC BY-NC-ND license.)
- McCrory MA, Bernard HM, Maroney OH, Sharma RS, Roberts SB. Validity of two questionnaires and two prediction equations for estimating total energy expenditure in healthy adults: a doubly labeled water study. Presented at Nutrition-2020 Live, the annual meeting of the American Society for Nutrition, online, June 1-4, 2020. Curr Dev Nutr 2020;4(S2):1175. Published online May 29, 2020.
- Anderson AK, McCrory MA, Steiner-Asiedu M, Ansong R, Lewis C, Ghosh T, Higgins JA, Sazonov E. Household food-related assessment using an innovative passive dietary assessment device in Ghana. Presented at Nutrition-2020 Live, the annual meeting of the American Society for Nutrition, online, June 1-4, 2020. Curr Dev Nutr 2020;4(S2):1157. Published online May 29, 2020.
- McCrory MA*, Sun M, Sazonov E, Frost G, Anderson AK, Jia W, Jobarteh ML, Maitland K, Steiner-Asiedu M, Ghosh T, Higgins JA, Baranowski T, Lo B. Methodology for objective, passive, image- and sensor-based assessment of dietary intake, meal timing, and food-related activity and Ghana and Kenya. Presented at annual meeting of the American Society for Nutrition, Baltimore, MD, June 2019.
- Anderson AK, McCrory MA, Steiner-Asiedu M, Ansong R, Lewis C, Ghosh T, Higgins JA, Sazonov E. A case study of household food-related assessment using an innovative passive dietary assessment device in Mompong-Akuapem, Ghana. Presented at annual meeting of the American Society for Nutrition, Baltimore, MD, June 2019.
- McCrory MA, Amankwaah AF, Sazonov E. Associations of carbohydrate quality (CQ) with daily interstitial glucose patterns in community-dwelling individuals: a pilot study. Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Dietary Intakes Measurements, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom, Sept 17, 2018.
- Sazonov E, Doulah A, Higgins JA, Parton J, McCrory MA. Automatic Ingestion Monitor v2 (AIM-2) a device for detection of eating, passive capture of food images and energy intake estimation. Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Dietary Intakes Measurements, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom, Sept 17, 2018.
- Mande A, Marden T, Jung S, Doulah S, McCrory MA, Sazonov E, Higgins J. A simplified, less expensive method to estimate energy intake from food images. Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Dietary Intakes Measurements, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom, Sept 17, 2018.
- Marden T, Doulah S, McCrory MA, Sazonov E, Higgins J. Extraneous foods and images on serveware cause overestimation of energy intake from food images. Workshop on Innovative Technologies for Dietary Intakes Measurements, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom, Sept 17, 2018.
- Sazonov E, Doulah A, Higgins JA, Parton J, McCrory MA. Detection of eating and passive capture of food images with the Automatic Ingestion Monitor v2. The Obesity Society (TOS) Annual Meeting, Nashville, TN, Nov 13-15 2018.
- Mar 2018: ‘Wearable Devices for Monitoring Energy Intake Across the Globe’, Automatic Dietary Monitoring 2018: The Grand Challenge from Lab to Real-Life Systems, workshop in conjunction with IEEE International Conference on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks (BSN 2018), Las Vegas, NV. March 4, 2018.
- Feb 2017: Science by the Pint. ‘Patterning Your Diet: The Science of Weight Loss.’ Sponsored by Science in the News (SITN) Boston, Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Aeronaut Brewery, Somerville, MA. Feb 23, 2017.
- Sept 2016: ‘Breakfast: Is “The Most Important Meal of the Day” Important for Weight Control?’ Department of Health Sciences, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Boston University. Sept 28, 2016.
- June 2016: ‘Breakfast, Morning Eating, and Obesity: Does When and How Much We Eat Matter?’ Center for Clinical and Molecular Nutrition, Emory University, Atlanta, GA. June 7, 2016.
- Feb 2016: ‘Energy and Nutrient Timing for Weight Control: Does Timing of Ingestion Matter?’ Boston University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine. Feb 9, 2016.
- New York Times: “Bigger, Saltier, Heavier: Fast Food Since 1986 in Three Simple Charts” (March 2019)
- The Daily Free Press at Boston University: “New Study Shows Changes in Fast Food Menus in Past 30 Years” (March 2019)
- Reuters: “Focus on Variety Can Lead to Eating Too Many Unhealthy Foods.” (August 2018)
- Tufts Heath & Nutrition Letter: “Don’t Like a Healthy Food? Try it Again (and Again).” (April 2017)
- NIH/University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa: Sensor-based Just-in Time Adaptive Interventions (JITAIs) Targeting Eating Behavior Principal Investigator at BU/Co-investigator on project. The goals of this project are to 1) use the Automatic Ingestion Monitor (AIM) sensor to study two common behavioral patterns observed in overweight and obese individuals, namely, excessive daily energy intake (EI) and fast eating rate; 2) define optimal personalized triggering metrics for two Just-in-Time Adaptive Interventions (JITAIs) targeting these behaviors; and 3) evaluate the JITAI’s immediate effects on daily EI and eating rate.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation/Imperial College, London: An Innovative Passive Dietary Monitoring System, Principal Investigator at BU/Co-investigator on project. The goal of this project is to develop and validate passive (automated) approaches to assess dietary intake in urban and rural-dwelling families in Ghana and Kenya.
- NIH-NIDDK/University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa: Assessing Food Intake with the Automatic Ingestion Monitor – Principal Investigator at BU/Co-Principal Investigator at BU. The goal of this study is to validate the Automatic Ingestion Monitor for estimation of food intake in laboratory and community settings.
Editorial Boards and Editorships
- 2019 Jan: Associate Editor, Frontiers in Nutrition, Nutrition Epidemiology section
- 2019 Mar: Co-Guest Editor, Frontiers in Nutrition, Research Topic/Article Collection “Objective Dietary Assessment in Nutrition Epidemiology Studies,” Nutrition Epidemiology/Nutrition Methodology sections
- 2018 Aug: co-Guest Editor, Nutrients, Special Issue “Sleep, Nutrition, and Human Health”
- 2018 Jan: Editorial Board, Nutrients
- 2017-2018: Co-Guest Editor, Nutrients, Special Issue “Dietary Fiber in the Prevention and Management of Human Obesity and Chronic Diseases”
- 2016-2017: Guest Editor, Nutrients 2017, 9; doi:10.3390. Special Issue “Dietary Fibers and Human Health”
- 2015 Nov: Editorial Board, Advances in Nutrition
- 2014 May: Editorial Review Board, Frontiers in Nutrition
Awards and Honors
- Sept 2017: Research featured as graphical abstract on cover of Foods Feb 2017 special issue on Food Choice, Ingestive Behavior and Sensation.
- July 2015: Named “Outstanding Reviewer” by the journal Appetite
- 2014: Fellow, The Obesity Society
- 2010: Acorn award, Purdue University (for grants awarded over $1,000,000)
- 2003: ILSI North America Future (Nutrition) Leader
- American Society for Nutrition (ASN)
- Fellow, The Obesity Society (TOS)
- Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center (BNORC)