Summer 2022 Internships
Application Deadline: Monday December 1, 2021
The Center is pleased to provide undergraduate students the opportunity to engage with major Boston institutions through our Undergraduate Internships in the Humanities.
These stipend-supported summer internships are open to undergraduates who are majoring or minoring in a CAS humanities department or one of the following CAS departments/programs in the social sciences: Anthropology, Archaeology, African American Studies, History, Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, and Holocaust, Genocide, and Human Rights Studies. While students of any class standing are welcome to apply, application quality being equal, preference will be given to students who are further along in their degree program.
Prospective applicants should read reflections by previous summer interns to learn more about the experience. The 2022 internship descriptions as well as application components are found below.
Internship Summaries for Summer 2022
Applicants should have a genuine interest in learning about the work done by these Boston-area institutions and possess a keen attention to detail; strong oral and written communication skills; and an interest in applying the critical approach central to humanities disciplines in a workplace environment. In summer 2022, interns will work at the following sites:
The application portal is housed on InfoReady Review. A summary of the components is listed below:
- Two short paragraphs (100 words each) explaining your first and second choice of sites
- Personal statement that includes: a) a description of a compelling experience/aspect of your BU education in an area of the humanities; and b) a reflection on your choice to study the humanities as an undergraduate and your aspirations for your life beyond college.
- Supplemental essay, required for those wishing to be considered for an internship at The Globe, that addresses one of the following: a) A memorable moment in your life; b) The best or worst story you’ve written and why; or c) Someone who has influenced you greatly
- Current Unofficial Transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Summer 2021 Interns and Sites
|Julia Bulafka (EN)||Beacon Press|
|Catherine Devlin (HI)||Burns & Levinson LLP|
|Kelsey Lu (PH & PO)||The Boston Globe|
|Lukas Ruschak (HI)||Brattle Film Foundation|
|David Winner (PH & WLL)||BU School of Public Health|
This program is possible due to generous support from the Office of the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Affairs, the Office of the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, the Anthony & Mary Vigna Summer Internship Fund, and, starting in summer 2021, an anonymous donor and Burns & Levinson LLP.