I am broadly interested in ecosystem ecology and the influence that plant-microbial interactions have on nutrient cycling and carbon exchange. I am particularly interested in the effects that human activities such as climate change, urbanization, and air pollution have on forest ecosystems. We currently examine a variety of nutrient sources, including rain, fog, and atmospheric deposition. We explore how plant-microbial interactions influence nitrogen and carbon retention and loss within natural and managed ecosystems.
We currently work in temperate forests of the northeastern United States, urban sites throughout the Greater Boston Area, and tropical forests of Mexico. We focus on three research themes: (1) the effects of climate change on forest biogeochemistry and carbon exchange; (2) controls on nitrogen retention and loss in temperate and tropical forest ecosystems; and (3) effects of urbanization on nutrient cycling, carbon sequestration, and air and water quality.
I welcome inquiries from prospective students, postdocs, and visiting scientists interested in joining our lab. I am happy to discuss our current projects and potential new collaborations.
- Templer PH, Reinmann AB, Sanders-DeMott R, Juice S, Bowles F, Sofen L, Harrison J, Halm I, Rustad L, Martin M, Grant N (2017) Climate change across seasons experiment (CCASE) at Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest: Combined effects of increased growing season temperatures and winter freeze-thaw cycles on the northern forest. PLOS ONE 12 (2): e0171928.
- Sanders-DeMott R, Templer PH (2017) What about winter? Integrating the missing season into climate change experiments in seasonally snow covered ecosystems. Methods in Ecology & Evolution 8 (10): 1183-1191.
- Decina SM, Templer PH, Hutyra LR, Gately CK, Rao P (2017) Variability, drivers, and effects of atmospheric nitrogen inputs across an urban area: emerging patterns among human activities, the atmosphere and soils. Science of the Total Environment 609: 1524-1534.
- Gill AL, Gallinat AS, Sanders-DeMott R, Rigden AJ, Short Gianotti DJ, Mantooth JA, Templer PH (2015) Changes in autumn senescence in northern hemisphere deciduous trees: a meta-analysis of autumn phenology studies. Annals of Botany 116: 875-888.
- Templer PH (2013) Biogeochemistry: limits on carbon uptake by plants. Nature Climate Change 3: 184-185.
- Templer PH, Pinder RW, Goodale CL (2012) Effects of nitrogen deposition on greenhouse gas fluxes for forests and grasslands of North America. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 547-553.
- Templer PH, Mack MC, Chapin III FS, Christenson LM, Compton JE, Crook HD, Currie WS, Curtis C, Dail B, D’Antonio CM, Emmett BA, Epstein H, Goodale CL, Gundersen P, Hobbie SE, Holland K, Hooper DU, Hungate BA, Lamontagne S, Nadelhoffer KJ, Osenberg CW, Perakis SS, Schleppi P, Schimel J, Schmidt IK, Sommerkorn M, Spoelstra J, Tietema A, Wessel WW, Zak DR (2012) Sinks for nitrogen inputs in terrestrial ecosystems: a meta-analysis of enriched 15N field tracer studies. Ecology 93: 1816-1829.
- Dawson TE, Mambelli S, Plamboeck AH, Templer PH, Tu KP (2002) Stable isotopes in plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 507-559.
- BI 303 Ecology
- BI 306 Biology of Global Change
- BI 530 Forest Ecology (Cross listed in Earth & Environment)
- GRS 719 Colloquium in Biogeosciences
- GRS 720 Practicum in Biogeosciences