I am broadly interested in ecosystem ecology and the influence that plant-microbial interactions have on nutrient cycling and carbon exchange. I am particularly interested in the effects that human activities such as climate change, urbanization, and air pollution have on forest ecosystems. We currently examine a variety of nutrient sources, including rain, fog, and atmospheric deposition. We explore how plant-microbial interactions influence nitrogen and carbon retention and loss within natural and managed ecosystems.
We currently work in temperate forests of the northeastern United States, urban sites throughout the Greater Boston Area, and tropical forests of Mexico. We focus on three research themes: (1) the effects of climate change on forest biogeochemistry and carbon exchange; (2) controls on nitrogen retention and loss in temperate and tropical forest ecosystems; and (3) effects of urbanization on nutrient cycling, carbon sequestration, and air and water quality.
I welcome inquiries from prospective students, postdocs, and visiting scientists interested in joining our lab. I am happy to discuss our current projects and potential new collaborations.
- Decina S, Hutyra LR, Templer PH (2020) Hotspots of nitrogen deposition in the world’s urban areas: a global data synthesis. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, in press.
- Dirnbock T, Haase P, Mirtl M, Pauw J, Templer PH (2019) Contemporary international long-term ecological research (ILTER) – from biogeosciences to socio-ecology and biodiversity research. Regional Environmental Change 19: 309-311.
- Reinmann AB, Susser J, Demaria EMC, Templer PH (2019) Declines in northern forest tree growth following snowpack decline and soil freezing. Global Change Biology 25: 420-430.
- Crowther TW, Machmuller MB, Carey JC, Allison SD, Blair JM, Bridgham SD, Burton AJ, Dijkstra FA, Elberling B, Estiarte M, Larsen KS, Laudon H, Lupascu M, Marhan S, Mohan J, Niu S, Penuelas J, Schimdt IK, Templer PH, Kroel-Dulay G, Frey S, Bradford MA (2018) Predicting soil carbon loss with warming. Nature 554: E7-E8.
- Decina SM, Templer PH, Hutyra LR (2018) Atmospheric inputs of nitrogen, carbon, and phosphorus across an urban area: unaccounted fluxes and canopy influences. Earth’s Future 6: 134-148.
- Templer PH, Reinmann AB, Sanders-DeMott R, Juice S, Bowles F, Sofen L, Harrison J, Halm I, Rustad L, Martin M, Grant N (2017) Climate change across seasons experiment (CCASE) at Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest: Combined effects of increased growing season temperatures and winter freeze-thaw cycles on the northern forest. PLOS ONE 12 (2): e0171928.
- Templer PH (2013) Biogeochemistry: limits on carbon uptake by plants. Nature Climate Change 3: 184-185.
- Dawson TE, Mambelli S, Plamboeck AH, Templer PH, Tu KP (2002) Stable isotopes in plant ecology. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 507-559.
- BI 303 Ecology
- BI 306 Biology of Global Change
- BI 530 Forest Ecology (Cross listed in Earth & Environment)
- GRS 719 Colloquium in Biogeosciences
- GRS 720 Practicum in Biogeosciences