- Title Director of Instructional Labs; Director of the Learning Assistant Program; Senior Lecturer in Biology
- Education PhD, Cornell University
- Office SCI 301A
- Web Address http://people.bu.edu/kspilios/Dr._Kathryn_Spilios/Boston_University,_Biology.html
- Email email@example.com
- Phone 617-358-1958
- Area of Interest Science education, entomology
The Learning Assistant Program
During the fall 2011 semester, I started the Learning Assistant Program within our Introductory Biology course. This program runs in conjunction with the Departments of Chemistry and Physics. The LA program is an initiative to improve undergraduate STEM education that was developed at the University of Colorado at Boulder with National Science Foundation funding. I employ high-performing undergraduate students to help with teaching Introductory Biology labs after they have successfully completed the course. LAs assist course staff in teaching the lab sections, while being trained how to teach by School of Education Faculty. More information about the LA program can be found here.
- Spilios KE, ed. (2018) Principles of Biology II. Hayden-McNeil. Plymouth, MI.
- Williams LM, Fuess LE, Brennan JJ, Mansfield KM, Salas-Rodriguez E, Welsh J, Awtry J, Banic S, Chacko C, Chezian A, Dowers D, Estrada F, Hsieh Y-H,Kang J, Li W, Malchiodi Z, Malinowski J, Matuszak S, McTigue T IV, Mueller D, Nguyen B, Nguyen M, Nguyen P, Nguyen S, Njoku N, Patel K, Pellegrini W, Pliakas T, Qadir D, Ryan E, Schiffer A, Thiel A, Yunes SA, Spilios KE, Pinzón C JH, Mydlarz LD, Gilmore TD (2018) A conserved Toll-like receptor-to-NF-κB signaling pathway in the endangered coral Orbicella faveolata. Developmental & Comparative Immunology 79: 128-136.
- Spilios, KE, ed. (2017) Principles of Biology I. Hayden-McNeil. Plymouth, MI.
- Knight MT, Garik P, Moser A, Hammond N, Jariwala EM, Spilios K, Seliga A, Duffy A, Dill D, Goldberg BB (2013) Investigating the effect of peer teachers on learning environments in large STEM courses, National Association of Research on Science Teaching (NARST): Rio Grande, Puerto Rico.
- Spilios, K, Knight M, Jariwala EM, Moser A, Hunt T, Knaub A, Duffy A, Garik P, Gross N (2013) The Boston University Experience of Beginning a Learning Assistant Program in Science Courses. National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) National Conference: San Antonio.
- Gardner KE, Seeley TD, Calderone NW (2008) Do Honey Bees Have Two Discrete Dances to Advertise Food Sources? Animal Behaviour, 75: 1291-1300.
- Gardner KE (2007) A scientific note on the directional accuracy of the waggle dance over the course of a day. Apidologie, 38: 312-313.
- Gardner KE, Seeley TD, Calderone NW (2007) Directional imprecision in the honey bee’s waggle dance: Considering adaptive and non-adaptive hypotheses. Entomologia Generalis, 29: 285-298.
- BI107: Principles of Biology I
- BI108: Principles of Biology II
- BB522: Techniques in Cell and Molecular Techniques (Co-Taught with Prof Tom Gilmore)
- BI697: A Bridge to Knowledge, Seminar in Pedagogy for New Teaching Fellows in Biology