Questrom School of Business Policy
In accordance with the University policy on transfer of undergraduate credit from a US institution, credits for business coursework to be considered for transfer to Boston University must be submitted for evaluation within one year of matriculation.
Current Questrom students wishing to undertake non-business coursework at another US institution must have the courses pre-approved in writing by the specific department and the Undergraduate Academic & Career Development Center (UDC) prior to registration. Current Questrom students wishing to undertake non-business coursework at an institution outside the US must have the courses pre-approved in writing by the Study Abroad Office, the specific department, and the UDC prior to registration.
Transfer credit is based on the content, level, and comparability of the courses taken. There are some required Questrom courses that are unique in content, integration, and design and may not be awarded credit. For other required courses, free elective credit may be granted.
Courses must be taken for a letter grade and receive a grade of C or better to be considered for transfer credit.
Questrom School of Business does not accept for transfer any credits received seven or more years prior to a student’s expected date of graduation. Course material covered in a previous course cannot be duplicated for credit at Boston University.
Transfer of Credit Policies—MBA
- Only courses from MBA programs accredited by the International Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) will be eligible for Transfer of Credit. Visit here for a listing of accredited schools.
- Transfer courses must have been completed within the past five calendar years, taken for credit, and not used toward the completion of another degree or certificate. Undergraduate courses will not be accepted.
- Online courses are not eligible for transfer.
- Only courses completed with a B– or better will be eligible for transfer.
- Prior to matriculation, courses will be considered for core course equivalency (PEMBA only) or otherwise are awarded as general elective credits. Students may transfer no more than 3 courses as core equivalents.
- Transfer credits may not count toward the requirements of a concentration, or toward the requirements of either the HSM or PNP program.
- Except under extenuating circumstances, transfer courses taken while enrolled at Questrom will not be eligible if they are equivalent to those offered at Questrom in the Spring or Fall Semester.
- Students must fulfill the Boston University residency requirement.
- Students interested in taking courses through the University Consortium should refer to the Registrar’s website.
- Newly admitted students apply within a month of the start of the program.
- Continuing students should apply one month before the start of the class.
This time frame is necessary to ensure a response before you begin the course.
Transfer of Credit—MS in Mathematical Finance
Given the academic nature of the Mathematical Finance Program, students are prohibited from using transfer of credit toward Mathematical Finance degree and credit requirements. Students must complete at least 36 credits in residence at Boston University Questrom School of Business.
Transfer of Credit—PhD in Mathematical Finance and Management
A student must receive approval from his or her faculty mentor to request a transfer of credit and then complete application forms, which are available in the Grad Center.
Transfer of Credit—MS in Management Studies
Given the academic nature of the MS in Management Studies, students are prohibited from using transfer of credit toward MSMS degree and credit requirements. Students must complete 36 credits in residence at Boston University Questrom School of Business.
Process for Petitioning for Transfer of Academic Credit
Students must complete a Transfer of Credit Application form found on the forms section of the Grad Center website. A separate petition must be submitted for each course for which credit is sought. The following materials must accompany each petition:
- An official course description.
- A course syllabus (current students should obtain the most current syllabus available for a course they hope to take; new students should provide the actual syllabus for a course they have taken in the past) including a list of textbooks and supplementary readings and a course-meeting schedule indicating number of class meetings, exam dates, and start/stop time of each class.
- New students should submit an official transcript (unless this is already part of your admission file) and current students will submit a transcript once the course has been completed.
Each petition will be evaluated by a faculty member to ensure that the course contains a level of academic content deemed appropriate for the BU MBA or PhD program. If the course content is approved, credit will be awarded in the amount of 3 (MBA) or 4 (PhD) credits per transferred course.
The Grad Center will notify students of the disposition of each petition by email. Approved transfer credits will be noted on the student’s transcript but will not be a factor in the computation of the Questrom grade point average, nor will grades received in transfer courses appear on students’ BU transcripts.