Minor in Materials Science & Engineering
Requirements for a Minor in Materials Science & Engineering
1. A minor in Materials Science & Engineering can be earned through completion of 20 credits selected from the list below including the required core comprising of ENG ME 306 and ENG ME 465.
- ENG MS/ME 306 Materials Science
- ENG MS/ME 527 Transport Phenomena in Materials Processing
- ENG ME 305 Mechanics of Materials
- ENG EC 471 Physics of Semiconductor Devices
- EMG MS/ME 505 Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics of Materials
- ENG MS/ME 503 Kinetic Processes in Materials
- ENG MS/EC 577 Electrical, Optical and Magnetic Properties of Materials
- ENG MS/ME 504 Polymers and Soft Materials
- ENG MS 539 Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering
- ENG MS/ME 582 Mechanical Behavior of Materials
- ENG MS/ME 508 Computational Methods in Materials Science
- ENG MS/BE/ME 523 Mechanics of Biomaterials
- ENG MS/ME 545 Electrochemistry of Fuel Cells and Batteries
- ENG MS/ME 530 Introduction to Micro and Nanomechanics of Solids
- ENG MS/ME 555 MEMS Fabrication and Materials
- ENG MS/ME 534 Materials Technology for Microelectronics
- CAS PY 451 Quantum Physics
- CAS PY 543 Introduction to Solid State Physics
Note: Students cannot earn credit for both:
- ENG MS/ME 505 Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics and CAS PY 410 Statistical Thermodynamics
- MS/EC 577 Electronic Optical and Magnetic Properties of Materials and CAS PY 543 Introduction to Solid-State Physics
2. No more than 8 credits may be used to satisfy the student’s major degree credit requirements.
3. Students are expected to obtain the necessary background (prerequisites or equivalents) to complete their chosen minor program.
4. Students must have a declared major on record in order to apply for the Minor in Materials Science & Engineering.
5. The grade point average (GPA) of the courses (20 credits) used for the minor must be 2.0 or greater for the minor to be awarded.
6. Applications for the Minor in Materials Science & Engineering must be approved by the Minor Coordinator of the Division of Materials Science & Engineering.
7. Students planning to pursue a minor in Materials Science & Engineering should apply as early as possible to facilitate course planning, and in no case later than October 1 of the senior year.
For questions about the requirements for this minor, please contact:
Prof. Srikanth Gopalan, MSE Minor Coordinator
730 Commonwealth Ave. Room 210