Minor in Advertising
The minor in advertising is meant to expose undergraduate students to communication theory, research, and practice in furtherance of training students with expert skills in critical thinking, collaboration, creative design, consumer insight, and management and account strategy, as well as cultivating strong abilities to write, design, and present ideas in a thoughtful, persuasive, and compelling manner.
The minor in advertising requires 28 total credits.
- COM CO 201 Introduction to Communication Writing (prereq: WR 120 or transfer equivalent WR 13X) (can be taken by first-year students) (must be finished with a C or higher)
- COM CM 217 Introduction to Advertising
- COM CM 331 Writing for Communication (prereq: CO 201)
Must take an additional 16 credits from this list:
- COM CM 405 Media Strategies (prereq: CM 217)
- COM CM 412 Consumer Insight and Account Planning (prereq: CM 217)
- COM CM 417 Fundamentals of Creative Development (prereq: CM 217)
- COM CM 419 Account Management (prereq: CM 217)
- COM CM 420 AdLab (2 credits) (prereq: CM 217, junior standing)*
- COM CM 421 AdLab E-Board (variable credit) (prereq: CM 217, junior standing)*
- COM CM 423 Portfolio Development I (prereq: CM 217 and CM 417)
- COM CM 424 Portfolio Development 2 (prereq: CM 217, CM 417, and CM 423)
- COM CM 501 Design Strategy and Software (sophomore standing)
- COM CM 511 Art Direction (prereq: CM 217 and CM 417)
- COM CM 518 Creative Video Development (prereq: CM 217 and CM 417)
- COM CM 519 Interactive Marketing Strategies (prereq: CM 217)
- COM CM 527 Brand Experience Marketing (prereq: CM 217 and CM 417)
- COM CM 528 Advertising Copywriting (prereq: CM 217 and CM 417)
- COM CM 529 Advanced Design Strategy and Software (prereq: CM 501)
*Only 4 total credits of CM 420 and CM 421 can count for this requirement.