Available to: Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Departments
- See Getting Started, below.
IS&T provides a secure backup and restore service for servers and storage systems. This service stores backups in our primary on-campus data center and (optionally) clones a copy to a secondary location for disaster recovery, compliance or long term retention requirements.
The purpose of this service is to create a copy of your current and active data for operational recoveries in the event that your data is lost or corrupted. Backup is used to restore your operational data to a previous point in time.
Data which needs to be kept for a long period of time but is not necessarily important for operational activities is archive data. For example, data which must be retained for regulatory compliance may be archived but would not necessarily be suitable for backup. For this type of data, we recommend the Data Archiving Service.
Leveraging IS&T’s backup service alleviates the need for departments to purchase, maintain, and operate independent backup environments. Backups are de-duplicated and compressed for storage efficiency and encrypted if replicated to a secondary location.
If desired, departments can administer their own backup schedules and retention through this central backup solution to achieve economies of scale and have access to the broad array of IS&T support resources.
- Ability to restore files that have been lost or become corrupted.
- Primary Backup
- Backups are stored in IS&T's primary data center and retained for 30 days.
- Each department receives a 10TB, no charge, allocation for on-campus backups. For clients with larger backup requirements, charges may apply. In those cases IS&T will work with you to review your needs to help ensure the most cost effective solution is leveraged to backup/protect your data.
- Duplicate Backup (Optional – Fee based)
- Clients may require a second copy of their backup to satisfy legal/grant compliance or disaster recovery requirements.
- Clients are responsible to determine if they need a second copy of a backup and how long to retain it.
- Duplicate backups are stored in a secondary location.
- Clients may be charged for space usage over the IS&T 5TB base allocation.
- Multi-Tenant Option
- If desired, Clients can administer their own backup schedule and retention. IS&T will provide initial setup and training as well as ongoing support for clients electing this option.
- Reporting is scheduled and delivered electronically.
What to Expect
New Backup and Restore requests are typically fulfilled within two business days.
Temporary access to an administrative account may be necessary for the initial installation of the backup client software.
Windows based systems must be part of the University’s Active Directory Service.
There is no charge for primary backup within base allocation described in Key Features.
If a duplicate backup is required, clients may be billed for storage costs at the secondary location over the 5TB IS&T base allocation.