- UNIX servers must participate in the the Boston University Global UID system or be domain joined to Active Directory.
- WINDOWS servers must be part of the Boston University Active Directory Forest.
- Servers must have network bandwidth proportionate to the amount of data to backup. (e.g. 1Gb or greater)
- Temporary administrative access is needed to install the client software.
- Supported Backup Clients: Current versions of Windows and most Unix/Linux variants and Applications are supported. See the Compatibility Guide for details. (Desktop/Notepad/Laptop clients should use IS&T’s Desktop Backup & Restore)
Frequently Asked Questions:
- When are backups made?
- Backups typically start at midnight and are performed daily. Backups are stored on-campus and retained for 30 days.
- What if I want longer retention?
- A second copy of your backups can be stored off-campus. Clients will be billed this cost less a 5TB IS&T subsidy. The off-campus cost varies slightly on a monthly basis. As February 2018, the cost is $0.023 per Gigabyte per month. Please contact us for the current cost basis.
- When will my file be restored?
- Typically, we complete restores within 2 business days. However, the restore could take longer depending upon: (1) size of restore (large amount of data and/or files) (2) if we need to retrieve backups from offsite (3) if the information in the restore request is incomplete or inaccurate.
- Can you restore any file?
- Sorry, we can’t! If you create/remove files within a backup cycle, there is no backup (e.g. if you created/removed files after one backup and before the next scheduled backup).
- What if I don’t own the file(s)?
- If you don’t own the file or have group access, you must have your system administrator complete a lost file request. Otherwise, we cannot restore files that are not owned by the requestor.