BA in Mathematics & Mathematics Education
This program combines a general bachelor’s degree mathematics program with the mathematics education courses required for high school teaching certification. Advisors in both the CAS Mathematics Department and the SED Mathematics Education Department must be consulted, as the scheduling of course programs requires careful planning.
Required CAS Courses
- CAS MA 123 Calculus I
- CAS MA 124 Calculus II
- CAS MA 213 Basic Statistics and Probability
- CAS MA 225 Multivariate Calculus
- CAS MA 226 Differential Equations
- CAS MA 242 Linear Algebra
- CAS MA 293 Discrete Mathematics
- CAS MA 341 Introduction to Number Theory
- CAS MA 505 History of Mathematics
- CAS MA 528 Introduction to Modern Geometry or
SED ME 559 Mathematics for Teachers: Geometry
- CAS MA 541 Modern Algebra I
One additional course must be chosen from the following list: CAS CS 111, PY 211, or any CAS mathematics course numbered 200 or above.
Note:The following substitutions are permitted: MA 123–124 may be replaced by either MA 127 or MA 129, and MA 225, 226, and 242 may be replaced by MA 230, 231, and 442, respectively.
Required SED Courses
- SED CT 575 General Methods of Instruction, 5–12
- SED ED 100 Introduction to Education (normally taken in the first year; can be taken in the second year)
- SED ED 410/412 Social Context of Education/Civic Context of Education (taken in the junior year)
- SED ME 508 Student-Teaching Practicum (second semester of the senior year; on-site practice in teaching).
- SED ME 547 Methods of Teaching Mathematics: High School
- SED ME 563 Problem-Solving Lab
Note: The following 2-credit courses are also required: SED DS 502 (Adolescent Psychology) and SED SE 251 (Special Education).