Available to: Faculty, Staff
Cost: No charge
- See Getting Started, below.
Office 365 Outlook offers comprehensive email and calendaring services to faculty and staff.
Collaboration tools are integrated with email services on Office 365 Outlook so you can arrange meetings with your colleagues more efficiently, view calendars of those who have granted you permission, schedule rooms and resources, and create to-do lists.
- Quota – The default quota for accounts on Office 365 is 50GB.
- Email – read your mail with Outlook or other supported desktop clients and mobile device clients, or through Outlook Web Access.
- Calendaring – manage your own schedule and look at the free/busy time of others to more easily book appointments and meetings.
- Mailing lists – use BU’s public and private distribution lists, or create your own.
- Address books – access BU’s Global Address List or manage your contacts with centralized address books.
- Synchronization – keep your email, contacts, and calendar updated and in sync between your computers and mobile devices.
- Retention – Email in the Trash is retained indefinitely for active accounts. Email that subscribers delete from the Trash (purged email) is still available for 14 days. Email in the Junk Email folder is automatically deleted after 30 days.
What to Expect
This service normally will be available 24 by 7 except for standard change windows, as described in IS&T’s standard policies, procedures, and schedules for making changes.
- Must have a BU login name and Kerberos password
- Must read and agree to the Conditions of Use and Policy on Computing Ethics
- If you use a personal or mobile device to read your BU email, you must secure that device with a password and adhere to BU’s Minimum Security Standards. Information on Securing Your Devices is provided by the Information Security team.
- Accounts for new Faculty and Staff will be provisioned during employment onboarding, along with the BU login name and Kerberos password.
- Everyone using a personal or mobile device to read BU email should review the security policies and information in the following documents: Data Management Guide, Data Protection Standards, Minimum Security Standards, and Securing Your Devices.
- Students who are in an academic program that requires Office 365 Outlook use will receive the information they need from their program administrator. Please submit a Help request if you need additional information or assistance.
- Non-BU affiliates who demonstrate a business need for an Exchange account can be sponsored for a Guest account. Please have your sponsor complete the Guest account request form at www.bu.edu/help/tech/accounts.
- Department representatives seeking a Departmental/Service account should submit the request through www.bu.edu/help/tech/accounts.