Available to: Students, Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Departments
Cost: No charge.
- See Getting Started, below.
Google Hangouts Meet is a simple platform designed to run an online meeting with minimal effort. Using only your web browser or a mobile device, meeting participants can share audio, video, and screens with colleagues and guests.
Google Hangouts Meet makes it easy for hosts and participants to meet with colleagues from both on and off campus. With no need to download additional applications, participants can join a meeting quickly and easily using their web browser. Participants on the go can use mobile apps for iOS or Android for the full meeting experience or call in using the meeting’s phone number and pin. And because Google Hangouts Meet is included with your BU Google account, no additional cost or accounts are required.
- Organize a meeting with up to 50 participants
- Out-of-the-box scheduling integration with Google Calendar, with an add-in available for Office 365 Outlook
- No client download or install required; join using your web browser
- Call into a meeting by phone using the US-based phone number and pin for your meeting
- Share your entire screen, slides, or a single window with your meeting’s participants
What to Expect
Google Hangouts Meet is a cloud hosted meetings solution, for which Google promises 99.9% uptime. See the G Suite Status Dashboard for current service status and past incidents.
- Google Hangouts Meet requires the use of a supported web browser. Detailed requirements can be found on Google’s Meet System Requirements page.
- Faculty, staff, and departments must first enable their BU Google Apps Account before using Google Hangouts Meet. Visit Enable a BU Google Apps Account to get started.
- At minimum, hosts and participants in an online meeting should have:
- A broadband wired or wireless internet connection
- A microphone and speakers, or a headset
- Log-in to Google Hangouts Meet from your web browser to join or start a meeting
- Schedule a meeting using Google Calendar
- See our resources for using Google Meet for remote learning
- Contact us for assistance