Whether you are new to grants management at BU, or just looking for a refresher on a specific topic, Sponsored Programs’ Training Resources will help guide you. We have self-service online training and resources, webinar recordings, quick videos, presentations, as well as live training opportunities.
Start with these resources to learn about grant management, and your role in it, at Boston University!
- The Fundamentals of Research Administration Series is designed for Department Administrators managing grants, who are either new to BU Sponsored Research or require a refresher. The modules cover pre-award and post-award topics, demonstrating efficient and compliant best practices for each stage of the grant project lifecycle, as well as departmental and central roles & responsibilities. You can complete the entire curriculum to receive a certificate or you can pick and choose the topics of interest.
- BU Grant Management Best Practices has tips for grant management processes.
- Research Support Roles and Responsibilities Matrix lays out how everyone at BU works together to support sponsored projects, including Sponsored Programs (SP) is the coordinating office for all p... staff, PIs, DAs, and other offices.
- The Post Award Onboarding Pack introduces you to award finance definitions, policies and resources.
- This Pre-Award Tips and FAQs document lays out common proposal mistakes and answers your proposal submission questions.
- BU Techweb regularly hosts trainings on BU Works, including grants management-specific Business Warehouse reporting.
Grants Management Topics
Previous and Future Training Events
On the Grant Management Training Events page, you can find information about upcoming trainings, and materials from previous sessions.
Topics from previous sessions include:
- Service Centers
- Pre-Award Best Practices
- Carryover and No Cost Extensions
- Post Docs
- Accounts Payable and Sourcing
Project Lifecycle Resources by Topic
These tutorials walk through key concepts you will encounter throughout your project’s lifecycle, organized by project stage and then alphabetically.
Many of these resources are provided through different mediums- video recording, presentation slides, and e-modules. You are welcome to explore these via whichever learning style suits your needs best.
Proposal Preparation and Submission Trainings
|Facilities and Administrative Costs|
|Interpreting Award Numbers|
|National Institutes of Health Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPR)|
|Notice of Award|
|Proposal Development and Review|
Managing an Award Trainings
|After the Fact Review|
|Four Cost Principles|
|Salary Cost Transfers|
|Boston University’s financial system Terminology|
|Travel on Sponsored Awards|