Pre-health advisors are available to discuss a wide range of topics so that our students and alumni can make informed decisions about their future path. We encourage pre-health students to schedule a meeting with an advisor each semester to receive ongoing feedback about the manner in which they are developing their academic and non-academic portfolios for application to health professions schools.
During appointments, topics of discussion may include:
- Completing the academic prerequisites of health profession schools
- Taking advantage of opportunities at Boston University and in the city of Boston, including clinical experiences and volunteer activities, internships, research, and study abroad
- Exploring summer opportunities and enrichment programs
- Preparing for standardized tests
- Requesting letters of recommendation
- Navigating the application process
Current undergraduates and alumni:
Scheduling Your Appointment
First Time Appointments:
- Self-enroll in our Pre-Health 101 Blackboard site.
- Complete all 6 episodes in the Introduction to the Pre-Health Pathway module.
- Once you have finished the introduction module, you must send us an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Subject: Intro Module Complete
- Body: Your name & BUID Number
- You will receive a response within 3 business days (Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays not included) with confirmation and instructions on how to schedule an appointment with a pre-health advisor.
If you have previously met with a pre-health advisor, you can schedule your appointment via Handshake:
- Log into Handshake using your BU credentials.
- From the Career Center page, select Appointments.
- Select Schedule New Appointment then choose the Pre-Professional Advising Category.
- Choose the Appointment Type that best fits your inquiries.
- Follow the prompts to select a date and then the time that works best for you.
- Pre-health advising appointments are only made available in Handshake up to two weeks in advance. If you do not see any openings, please continue to check Handshake as additional appointments are added weekly every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- You may only schedule one pre-health appointment at a time. If you schedule multiple pre-health appointments, all of your pre-health appointments will be cancelled.
- If you schedule an appointment to review a document (i.e. resume, personal statement, school list, etc.), you must send the document to firstname.lastname@example.org or directly to your advisor at least 2 business days before your appointment or your appointment may be cancelled. Weekends and holidays are NOT included in business days.
Arriving for Your Appointment
Please arrive 5 minutes early for your appointment and make sure to check-in at the front desk. If you arrive late for your appointment by 10 minutes (15 minutes for a 30 minute appointment), you will be considered a no-show and it will be necessary for you to reschedule your appointment. If you have been directed to meet with a specific advisor, look for the availability for that advisor only.
Virtual on Handshake
Log into your Handshake and navigate to the appointment page. Click on your scheduled appointment. To connect with your advisor click “Start Video Appointment”. If you arrive late for your appointment by 10 minutes (15 minutes for a 30 minute appointment), you will be considered a no-show and it will be necessary for you to reschedule your appointment.
Cancelling Your Appointment
To cancel your appointment, go to the appointments page, click on the appointment you wish to cancel, then click the red cancel button. Feel free to leave a message to the advisor!
Rescheduling Your Appointment
To reschedule an appointment, cancel your existing appointment and then schedule a new appointment.
Current MET Post-Bacc students:
Visit or call the Preprofessional Advising Office at 617-353-4866 during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm ET) to schedule your appointment.
The pre-health team participates in Admissions’ visit days for students interested in Boston University during the fall, winter, and spring. Please check our calendar for any upcoming events. If you do not see any, please email email@example.com to receive the link and passcode for a recording of the most recently hosted event.