Online Data Analytics Graduate Certificate
The rapid pace at which digital data is being generated has resulted in very large amounts of data, usually referred to as “Big Data,” which require new techniques for processing and analysis. Data analytics is needed in nearly every industry to guide decision-making processes through the collection and analysis of available data—yet, according to a McKinsey Global Institute assessment, the United States alone faces a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 personnel with the requisite deep analytical skills.
The new Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics will provide professionals with the skills required to compete for data analysis jobs amid rising global demand. The certificate program will explore the intricacies of data analytics and expose students to various topics related to data processing, analysis, and visualization. Along with probability theory and statistical analysis methods and tools, students will learn how to generate relevant visual presentations of data and will examine concepts and techniques for data mining, text mining, and web mining. Individuals who complete this program will have a solid knowledge of data analytics practices accompanied by exposure to the methods and tools for data mining and knowledge discovery.
Students who complete the Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics will be able to demonstrate:
- Familiarity with applied probability and statistics, and their relevance in day-to-day data analysis
- The ability to explore the various data visualization techniques and their applications using real-world data sets
- An understanding of web analytics and metrics, procure and process unstructured text, and delve into the hidden patterns
- Skills in facilitating knowledge discovery using data mining techniques over vast amounts of data
Why Choose BU’s Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics?
- Four-course certificate program comprises courses shared by the MS in Computer Information Systems, ranked #8 among the nation’s Best Online Master's in Computer Information Technology Programs (U.S. News & World Report 2024).
- Students benefit from a supportive online network, with courses developed and taught by PhD-level full-time faculty and professionals with hands-on expertise in the industry.
- Small course sections ensure that students get the attention they need, while case studies and real-world projects ensure that they gain in-depth, practical experience with the latest technologies.
Computer and Information Systems Managers
10% increase in jobs through 2029
$146,360 median annual pay in 2019
Computer and Information Research Scientists
15% increase in jobs through 2029
$122,840 median annual pay in 2019
Computer Systems Analysts
7% increase in jobs through 2029
$90,920 median annual pay in 2019
10% increase in jobs through 2029
$93,750 median annual pay in 2019
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2020
Best Technology Jobs, 2024 U.S. News & World Report
- #1 Software Developer
- #2 IT Manager
- #3 Information Security Analyst
- #4 Data Scientist
- #5 Web Developer
- #6 Computer Systems Analyst
- #7 Computer Network Architect
- #8 Database Administrator
- #9 Computer Support Specialist
- #10 Computer Systems Administrator
- #11 Computer Programmer
By 2018, the United States alone could face a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 people with deep analytical skills as well as 1.5 million managers and analysts with the know-how to use the analysis of big data to make effective decisions.
McKinsey & Company
Big data: The Next Frontier for Innovation, Competition, and Productivity, 2011
Boston University Metropolitan College (MET) offers competitive tuition rates that meet the needs of part-time students seeking an affordable education. These rates are substantially lower than those of the traditional, full-time residential programs yet provide access to the same high-quality BU education. To learn more about current tuition rates, visit the MET website.
Comprehensive financial assistance services are available at MET, including scholarships, graduate loans, and payment plans. There is no cost to apply for financial assistance, and you may qualify for a student loan regardless of your income. Learn more.
Boston University’s Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics consists of four required online courses (16 credits).
Admission & Prerequisite Information
Assistant Professor, Computer Science; Director, Analytics
PhD, Brandeis University; MS, Indian Institute of Technology; BS, Regional Engineering College (Warangal, India)
Jae Young Lee
Assistant Professor, Computer Science; Coordinator, Databases
PhD, MS, University of Texas at Arlington; BS, Seoul National University (Korea)
To learn more or to contact an enrollment advisor before you get started, request information using the button below and tell us a little about yourself. Someone will be in touch to answer any questions you may have about the program and detail the next steps in earning your degree. You can also start your application or register for a course at Metropolitan College.