Research at the Gotlieb Center
As a private research university, the resources, spaces, and staff efforts of the Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center primarily serve the research, educational, and instructional needs of the Boston University community. Requests for access to collections, and for educational support services from the BU community will be prioritized.
By accessing services remotely, or visiting the Center in person, patrons, researchers and visitors to the Gotlieb Center agree to adhere to the Libraries Code of Conduct, which outlines the expectations and requirements for using Libraries’ spaces and resources to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for all.
Please complete the Contact Us form and submit it to our archival team, who will respond in as timely a manner as possible. Please note that it may take up to two weeks for an archivist to respond to your question.
Staff will review your request in consideration of copyright and donor agreements, as well as amount of material and condition of material, and physical access. No more than 150 pages will be copied for any research project within any 12-month period.
Educational Support and Class Sessions
Archivists may be able to host a class visit for faculty and their students; availability for such class visits is limited, and all classes require a meeting (virtual or face-to-face) between the faculty instructor and the archivist to be certain the Center can meet the educational goals of the course. Faculty may request a class session for their students via the Contact Us form; at least three weeks advance notice is necessary for a class request to be reviewed and scheduled.
In-person research is by appointment only, and appointment requests will be processed according to the order received. Seating in the reading room is limited. To request an appointment please Contact Us.
Visitors will need to complete a short check-in and show a valid photo ID when entering through the kiosk at the entrance of the Mugar Memorial Library.
In-person research will take place on the first two business days of each week with the following guidelines and expectations:
- Visitors to the Gotlieb Center will be required to follow BU face mask requirements.
- Visitors should not report to campus if they feel unwell or are experiencing any of the symptoms of COVID-19.
- In-person research is available by appointment only; collections stored off-site and/or with donor restrictions, are not available.
- Appointments must be requested at least three weeks before your planned visit.
- Requests for appointments are tentative until receipt of a confirmation email from the Public Service team. All requests are subject to review to ensure that any logistical issues with retrieval or donor restrictions can be met within the time frame of the appointment request.
- All appointments are subject to change or cancellation for public health, logistics, or other reasons at the discretion of the BU Libraries leadership.
- A valid photo ID must be presented upon arrival at the Mugar Memorial Library, and must be completed each new day of any visit.
- In-person research days are the first two business days of the week following the BU Calendar (usually Mondays & Tuesdays). Research seating is limited, with appointments available from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm; and again from 1:30 pm to 4:00 pm (the Center closes from 12:30 pm -1:30 pm daily for lunch).
- Requests for copies of material by in-person researchers follow the same procedure and limitations as noted above.
Please do not make any travel plans until your appointment has been confirmed by a staff member.