Visiting the Libraries
Try Online First
Our building capacity has been significantly reduced to comply with public health guidelines. Try connecting with our online services before deciding to come to our physical locations. We have expanded our online service delivery and may be able to help you without a visit to one of our branches.
Who Can Visit
Current Boston University faculty, students, and staff.
Other groups should consult the Back2BU guidelines regarding campus visitors before visiting campus and the libraries.
In order to visit the libraries, use the BU Libraries 2 Go service, or retrieve ILL items, you must first be cleared to come to campus in accordance with University COVID-19 protocols. For questions regarding your status, please contact the COVID-19 Support Line, Student Health Services, or Occupational Health Center.
As of October 22, you must display your green daily attestation email/badge to enter shared common spaces such as the George Sherman Union / The Link, prior to entering Mugar Memorial Library to pickup materials.
When to Visit in Person
- If you received an email that your BU Libraries 2 Go request or interlibrary loan materials are ready for pickup
- Looking for a space to study? See available spaces and information about de-densification
- Looking for a computers and printers? See available technology and changes to these services
What to Expect
- Bring your BU ID card. All members of the BU community will be required to swipe their BU ID card to gain entry to Mugar Memorial Library.
- Face coverings are required for entry and must be worn at all times in the building.
- Building capacity has been significantly reduced and spaces have been reconfigured to maintain social distancing.
- Lanes for queueing are marked outside the entrance to Mugar in the GSU Link.
- In Mugar, all of your research needs our now located at a single Library Services Desk.
- Follow signage in and around stairwells, restrooms, elevators, and study areas.
- Refer to Back2BU for complete information on safety and guides on return to campus.
Services at Specific Locations
Mugar Memorial Library is open to current BU students, faculty, and staff. Through the spring 2021 semester, Mugar’s daily hours of operation will be 8 am to 11 pm.
African Studies Library reading room is open for consultation by appointment only between 10 am – 4 pm Monday through Friday.
Music Library stacks and listening room will be closed through the academic year.
Pardee Management Library is open. Pardee’s modified hours will be Monday through Thursday 8 am to 7 pm; Friday 8 am to 6 pm; Saturday 10 am to 6 pm; and Sunday 11 am to 7 pm.
Science and Engineering Library will be closed to patrons for most of the spring 2021 semester. We plan to reopen this branch for final exams on Friday, April 30 through Saturday May 8, 2021. Modified reading and exam period hours will be Monday through Thursday 8 am to 7 pm; Friday 8 am to 6:00 pm; Saturday 11 am to 6 pm; and Sunday 12 pm to 7 pm.
Pickering Educational Resources Library will be closed through the academic year.
Stone Science Library will be closed through the academic year.
This page last updated: March 8, 2021.