Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center
The Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center, instituted in 1963 and named for its founder, houses many of Boston University Libraries’ special and archival collections. It is located on the fifth floor of Mugar Memorial Library and is accessible via the South elevator. The Gotlieb Center specializes in the personal collections of twentieth century public figures in the fields of literature, criticism, journalism, drama, music, film, civil rights, diplomacy and national affairs. In addition to its contemporary collections, the Center is home to substantial holdings of earlier historical documents and rare books.
The Gotlieb Center welcomes researchers from BU and beyond and is a singular research destination. Our collections vary in size and content, containing a variety of manuscripts, drafts, galleys, notes, notebooks, journals, diaries, scrapbooks, reviews, photographs, memorabilia, and personal and professional correspondence. Most collections have a finding aid and are available for research by appointment. We preserve these collections and make them readily available to researchers while administering all legal copyrights and restrictions.
Contacting the Gotlieb Center
Research & Resources
- Special CollectionsIncluding materials from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Dr. Howard Thurman and Sue Bailey Thurman, Elie Wiesel, and more.
- Conducting ResearchInformation about access to collections, remote reference, education support, and in-person research.
- Rules for Access and UseAbout the reading room, use of our collections, photography, and reproductions.
Visiting & Spaces
Due to ongoing and extensive roof replacement and repairs, the Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center is making no appointments for in-person research from Monday May 22, 2023 through at least Labor Day, Monday, September 4, 2023. Please contact us with research inquiries and requests for materials.
- VisitingInformation about scheduling a visit, research session, or remote reproductions
- Maps & DirectionsGetting to the Gotlieb Center
- Floor PlansNavigating our spaces