The Center manages several endowments that provide funds for library acquisitions, such as the complete run of a journal or a database of otherwise inaccessible material. These funds are meant to supplement, not replace, the normal library purchasing fund, and may be used to build the collection in one of the University’s recently inaugurated areas of study. Proposals should specify the importance of items proposed for purchase to a community of users; these funds are not intended to purchase materials of interest to only one faculty member. The Center accepts applications for these awards throughout the year on a rolling basis.
Funding Sources & Restrictions
- The Humanities Library Endowed Fund – no restrictions
- The CAS Class of 1933 Humanities Book Fund – no restrictions
- The Ted Kyrios Memorial Book Fund – restricted to writings in the areas of immigration, ethnic studies, and Greek literature if possible
- The Kenneth Setton Library Fund – restricted to writings in the areas of Greek and Latin Classics and the Medieval and Renaissance (political and diplomatic) history of Europe
Who Is Eligible to Apply
Applications for library acquisitions should involve both a faculty member and the library system. Please note that we will publish guidelines for the interface between the new Mugar Library system acquisition request form and this competition as soon as they have been established. In the meantime, please email us at email@example.com if you are initiating an application.
We ask that all documents be submitted via the InfoReady Review portal. You can save your application and return to it at any point before submitting. There are no deadlines for this award. The application includes:
- Letter from the faculty applicant, describing the need for the resources requested
- Confirmation from the library system that the materials can be administered by the BU libraries
- A page with a budget outline for funds requested and any additional argument to support the request
- A letter of support from the department chair.
Preferred browser is Chrome. Please do not use Safari.
The InfoReady Review application link is found here.