Welcome to the Boston University Department of Physical Education Recreation and Dance. We are committed to providing quality physical education classes to the students of Boston University. On this page, you will find policies and procedures relating to our credit class (PDP) offerings, course syllabi, and course evaluations.
Policies & Procedures
Adding a PDP class
To add a PDP class to your schedule, visit the Student Link during your designated registration time and search for any class beginning with “PDP”. We offer a wide variety of half-credit, one credit, and two credit classes. If you are unable to add a PDP class via the Student Link, please see your advisor or the Office of the University Registrar. FitRec staff cannot enroll you in credit classes.
There are no wait lists for PDP classes. If you would like to attend a class which is already full, you may attend the first class with an Add/Drop form for the instructor to sign in the event that other students have dropped out. You may not enroll in a PDP class that is at capacity, as space and safety concerns are deciding factors in creating enrollment limits.
PDP classes are graded on a pass/fail basis, with attendance being the main requirement. Please view your course syllabus to ensure that you are meeting the attendance requirement for your class. If you do not meet your instructor’s attendance requirement, you will receive an “Incomplete” (“I”) on your transcript and will be required to make up the missed classes within one calendar year of the date you received the “I”.
Auditing a PDP Class
You may audit most PDP classes. Classes you may not audit include: certification, sailing, rowing, and rock climbing courses. Auditing a class DOES NOT mean that the class is free of charge, or carries no credits. If you choose to audit, you will not receive a grade for the class or be held to the attendance standard, however you will still receive the amount of credits that the class carries and be charged any resulting fees from overenrolling. This means that the credits will still apply to your total credit count for the semester and the cost of the class will be included in your tuition, as long as you are within your program’s credit limit.
To audit a PDP class as an undergraduate, please submit an Audit Form signed by your instructor to the Office of University Registrar at 881 Commonwealth Avenue. If you are a graduate student, please contact your school’s admissions office to learn more about how to audit a class. The PERD Office at FitRec cannot make changes to your academic record. See deadlines below.
Cost of PDP Classes
In most cases, PDP classes are included in the cost of your tuition if you are a fulltime student. This means you will only be charged for the amount of credits that the class carries if you exceed the number of credits you are allowed to take per semester. Part time students will be charged per credit for each PDP class taken. Additional fees will apply for classes that require transportation off campus, that bear certifications, or require the purchase of personal materials. Please speak to your academic advisor, Office of the University Registrar, or individual school for more details about how adding a PDP to your schedule will affect your tuition. If you are a part-time student or concerned about the cost of over-enrolling, see “Cross-listed Classes” below.
Example 1: You are allowed to take 18 credits per semester. You currently have 16 credits and want to take a 1 credit PDP class. You will not be charged additional fees for adding the PDP to your schedule.
Example 2: You are allowed to take 18 credits per semester. You currently have 18 credits and want to take a 1 credit PDP. You will incur an additional cost for 1 credit if you add the PDP to your schedule.
We strive to offer the best physical education classes in the nation and we depend on student feedback to help us achieve that goal. You will be asked to complete an online course evaluation at midterm and again at the end of the semester. These evaluations are anonymous and we truly appreciate your willingness to participate in this exciting process.
Many of our PDP classes are cross-listed, meaning that you may also take them as part of our recreation/noncredit program. For a fee, you may attend a class that is not at capacity without receiving a grade. The class will not carry any credits or end up on your transcript. This is a good option if you are a part time student or are already taking the maximum amount of credits your program allows but still want to incorporate physical activity into your schedule. Click here to see our cross-listed classes and a wide variety of other recreational offerings.
Since cross-listed PDPs are designed as part of the credit program, they are not intended to be “drop in” classes. Students will get the best experience from attending class on a regular basis.
Dropping a PDP Class
As with adding a class, FitRec staff cannot drop you from a credit class. If you wish to drop a PDP class from your schedule, please do so using the Student Link. If you are unable to complete this action online, you may submit a paper drop form signed by your instructor to the Office of the University Registrar at 881 Commonwealth Ave. Please see the schedule of deadlines below.
Deadlines & Schedules
The majority of classes offered for credit through the Department of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance adhere to the standard university deadlines and holiday closures. Please visit the website for the Office of the University Registrar to view important semester dates.
If your class does not meet for the full duration of the semester, custom deadlines will apply. (Deadlines include: add/drop dates, last day to change status to audit, last day to drop without a “W”, etc.).
Classes with nonstandard dates include: Scuba, Sailing, Rowing, all ER courses and Downhill Skiing/Snowboarding. Please make sure to check in with your instructor about the specific deadlines for these classes.
To view syllabi, please select your course below:
- PDP DA 100 Pilates-Based Conditioning
- PDP DA 111 Ballroom, Beginning
- PDP DA 112 Ballroom, Tango
- PDP DA 113 Ballroom, Swing
- PDP DA 114 Ballroom, Salsa & Merengue
- PDP DA 115 Ballroom, Latin
- PDP DA 129 Ballet, Beginning
- PDP DA 130 Ballet, Advanced Beginning
- PDP DA 138 Dance Improvisation
- PDP DA 140 Modern, Beginning
- PDP DA 150-151 Cardio Jazz Funk
- PDP DA 160-161 Hip Hop
- PDP DA 170 Tap Beginning
- PDP DA 180 Jazz, Beginning
- PDP DA 200 Pilates, Intermediate
- PDP DA 229 Ballet, Low Intermediate
- PDP DA 230 Ballet, Intermediate
- PDP DA 240 Modern, Low Intermediate
- PDP DA 270 Tap, Intermediate
- PDP DA 280 Jazz, Low Intermediate
- PDP DA 286 Independent Dance
- PDP DA 329 Ballet, High Intermediate
- PDP DA 330 Pointe
- PDP DA 340 Modern/Contemporary, High Intermediate
- PDP DA 380 Jazz, High Intermediate
- PDP DA 400 Performance and Repertory
- PDP GS 100 Beginning Volleyball
- PDP GS 101 Beginning Fencing
- PDP GS 107 Beginning Badminton
- PDP GS 108 Gymnastics
- PDP GS 110 Beginning Tennis
- PDP GS 111 Beginning Racquetball
- PDP GS 112 Beginning Squash
- PDP GS 120 Marathon Training
- PDP GS 122 Boxing
- PDP GS 123 Bootcamp Plus
- PDP GS 124 Kickboxing
- PDP GS 128 Table Tennis
- PDP GS 133 Beginning Basketball
- PDP GS 138 Billiards
- PDP GS 150 Cricket
- PDP GS 200 Intermediate Volleyball
- PDP GS 208 Intermediate Gymnastics
- PDP GS 210 Intermediate Tennis
- PDP GS 211 Intermediate Racquetball
- PDP GS 212 Intermediate Squash
- PDP GS 220 Marathon Training II
- PDP GS 222 Boxing Technique
- PDP GS 238 Billiards Intermediate
- PDP GS 300 Advanced Volleyball
Health & Physical Education
Mind & Body
- PDP MB 100 Beginning Tai Chi
- PDP MB 101 Hatha Yoga
- PDP MB 102 Ashtanga Yoga
- PDP MB 103 Zen Meditation
- PDP MB 104 Sivananda Yoga
- PDP MB 105 Restorative Yoga
- PDP MB 106 Yoga Meditation
- PDP MB 110 Vinyasa Yoga
- PDP MB 112 Mysore Style Yoga
- PDP MB 115 Yoga/Pilates Fusion
- PDP MB 201 Hatha Yoga Low Intermediate
- PDP MB 202 Ashtanga Yoga, Intermediate
- PDP MB 203 Hatha Yoga High Intermediate
- PDP MB 204 Sivananda Yoga Intermediate
- PDP MB 401 and 402 Yoga Teacher Training