What we’re all about:
building a fit & fun community
Rather than start by telling you what we offer, we’d rather tell you what we’re about. Well, getting in shape, of course. But what gets us out of bed in the morning is the opportunity to help build a healthy and vigorous community on campus with a high fitness IQ. We cater to students, alumni, faculty, and staff; young and old; and families. With decades of combined experience, from old-school to new-school, we manage a dizzying array of state-of-the-art equipment and modern facilities in one of the largest and premier fitness centers in the Northeast. Then we mix in a whole bunch of friendly, positive vibes. Whether you’re into group workouts or solo sweats or trying something new, we’re here every day to help get you going—whatever your speed, whatever your motivation—and, always, to keep you smiling.
OK, now for a little about us.
BU’s Fitness & Recreation Center opened its doors in 2005 as part of the John Hancock Student Village, replacing an aging, outdated gymnasium. Among other things, FitRec boasts an 18,000-square-foot weight and cardio room, a 1/7 mile indoor running track, a climbing wall, a Pro Shop, racquetball and squash courts, two swimming pools, and the lazy river, which is wildly popular among kids and kids at heart. FitRec members also have access fitness and recreation facilities at the Case Center and Track & Tennis Center.
And if numbers are your thing, check these out.
- 6,500 students, faculty, and staff swipe in every day
- 34 club sports, from fencing and rugby to water polo and cricket
- 7,000 participants in FitRec’s intramural sports program
- 100 physical education classes from yoga, aquatics, and equestrian to court sports, emergency response, and martial arts
- Two summer camps for kids, as well as a program during the academic year, through the Family Recreation program.
- One juice bar
Keep up-to-date on special classes and programming, FitRec events, and general health and wellness information through our monthly e-newsletter.