The following was sent to all students on Friday, Nov. 19, 2021.
I see the sacrifices, loss, disruption, and good spirit, that has been required from you, so that we can all say that we are “still here” – daily symptoms surveys, weekly tests, and masks indoors. Like so many, I am proud of you and grateful.
Amidst this predicament we find ourselves in – all the ambiguity, uncertainty, and soul-searching – I am still hopeful and looking forward to a few days of face-to-face interaction, handshakes, and, maybe, a hug or two. As part of my preparation for my eagerly-awaited encounters, I reviewed Dr. Platt’s Mid-Semester COVID Report, and I already scheduled an appointment to take a COVID test before I leave campus. I’m also going to schedule my next test before I return to campus; and, when I get back after break, I’m going to stay in place until I receive my negative test result.
A few basic things to start, but here are a few more items for your planning:
- COVID-19 compliance will be monitored during the Thanksgiving holiday. You should make every effort to fulfill testing requirements, regardless of travel plans. However, if you are unable to do so, there will be no repercussions if you are temporarily non-compliant during the period from Wednesday, November 24, 2021 through Sunday, November 28, 2021.
- In order to resume your regular testing cadence of one test every seven days, you may want to schedule an additional test during the first week after the holiday so you may be able to continue weekly testing on the same day going forward.
Travel and Testing
- If you plan to travel for Thanksgiving recess, we strongly recommend completing a COVID test immediately upon your return to campus at the BU Collection Site. Please contact Healthway at email@example.com if you have any non-medical questions about scheduling an appointment.
- More people will be testing upon return to campus and early in the week following the Thanksgiving break, and therefore results will take longer than usual. Schedule early as appointments will fill up!
Healthway Holiday Hours and Reminders
- Collection sites will close at 12 noon, Wednesday, November 24, and will reopen at 8 am, Friday, November 26.
- Healthway will be closed Thanksgiving Day. For urgent medical needs on Thanksgiving Day please contact your PCP’s office.
- You are not required to complete the daily health screening during the Thanksgiving holiday (Thursday, November 25 and Friday, November 26), or during the weekend unless you are scheduled to work or return to campus for any reason on those days.
- Monitor closely for symptoms. If you feel ill, stay home and away from family members that may be more at risk for severe disease.
In addition to you, many individuals and groups in our community deserve praise – I plan to let them know. So let me tell you one more time – I appreciate you,
Safe travels, rest and many low-risk encounters to you,
Associate Provost and Dean of Students