Requests can be submitted via the University’s project management system, PMWeb. Training opportunities for requestors and approvers are available. For a schedule of trainings or to learn more about our project management system, please contact email@example.com.
CAMMS, the University’s Facilities Service Request system, will continue to serve as the tool for maintenance and custodial work orders.
Requests convey the preliminary project details, requested scope of work, and the anticipated funding source and help inform how the project may be staffed and organized. Projects will require approval from the President’s Committee on Space Planning & Capital Expenditures (SPACE) or its Operations Sub-committee (sub-SPACE) if they meet certain guidelines.
Projects will require sub-SPACE Committee approval if:
- Renovations estimated to cost greater than $25,000
- Requesting additional space or reassignment of space
- Changes require modification to the floor plan or affect other departments
- Upgrades or changes require design assistance
Projects costing more than $1 million will also need to be reviewed by the SPACE Committee.
The sub-SPACE Committee meets on a bi-weekly basis and includes representatives from the Provost’s Office, Operations, CPO, and Budget & Planning. The committee is chaired by the Associate Vice President for Planning, Design & Construction.
sub-SPACE Approval Process
- Requests are created by one of many department submitters, followed by a review by a designated department approver.
- Once approved by the department, the request is reviewed and approved by the Provost or CPO to be added to sub-SPACE agenda for review.
- sub-SPACE reviews the scope, value, and schedule of the request. Upon committee agreement, the request is assigned a CPO project manager and/or a designer, as necessary.
- For requests that are anticipated to cost greater than $50,000 and require outside design assistance, an estimate for the design fees will be created and sent to the department for approval. The requesting department will be responsible for funding this service.
- The project manager will review scope and inspect the space with the requesting department to ensure an accurate estimate is created for the request.
- The completed estimate will be sent to the requestor for approval and indication of funding source.
- The department-approved estimate is returned to the Committee for final review of the plan, estimated costs, and funding source. Upon committee agreement, the request is approved for implementation.
If you have questions regarding the sub-SPACE process, contact Mary Kildare.
The sub-SPACE committee thoroughly reviews all projects before they are presented to the SPACE committee for final approval. It is the sub-committee’s role to understand and comment on changes to the use, design, and layout of campus space and buildings to recommend appropriate action by the SPACE Committee.
The SPACE Committee meets on regular basis and includes the President, Provost, Senior Vice President for Operations, Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer, Vice President for Budget, Planning & Business Affairs, Vice President for Financial Operations, and Vice President and Associate Provost for Academic Budgets & Planning. The SPACE committee reviews each project based on the following five criteria:
- Cost Estimate – Evaluation of total hard costs (construction) and soft costs (design, permit, finance, furnish and occupancy) for the project
- Planning and Design – Analysis of alternative locations, site selection, and architectural design
- Space Utilization – Confirmation of the academic, research or administrative need for additional or renovated space (project consistency with University’s strategic plan)
- Constructability – Review of existing building structure and services to support the renovation and schedule
- Funding – Validation of funding sources (operations, debt, gifts and grants)