Government & Community Affairs
What difference does Boston University make?
- Over $42.9 million in payments and services to the City of Boston in FY2014.
- $3.9 billion of economic impact to Massachusetts in FY2012.
- Over $186 million in scholarships to local students since 2003.
- Because of the University, nearly 11,500 Massachusetts residents are employed.
- Each year, 1,000 Boston Public School students discover a new way to embrace reading through our Holiday Reading Program.
- BU paid over $2.1 million to the Town of Brookline in FY2014 in PILOT and real estate taxes.
- Thousands of seniors and children are healthier thanks to our care through our community health care programs.
- BU contributed $3.9 million to improving Kenmore Square and over $13 million for improvements to Commonwealth Avenue.
- Over 70,000 kids considered a career in the sciences because of CityLab.
- Nearly 4,000 BU volunteers contributed nearly 125,000 hours of service to the community through our Community Service Center during the 2013-2014 academic year.