Move-in 2022: What You Need to Know amid Lingering Pandemic Precautions and MBTA Closures
University is monitoring possible effects from MBTA closures
Move-in 2022: What You Need to Know
University is monitoring possible effects from MBTA closures
Amid some subway line closures and COVID-19’s lingering presence, the University has set protocols for Move-in 2022, running Wednesday, August 31, through Monday, September 5.
The autumn 2022 repopulation of campus will resemble last year’s, which was shaped by pandemic precautions. Students were asked to choose not just a Move-in day in advance, but a shift as well: either 8 am to noon or 1 to 5 pm. Arriving Terriers have just those four hours to complete their move, so the University advises getting here early for your slot.
The BU Police Department’s traffic flow arrangements will be the same as in recent years, says Robert Molloy BUPD deputy chief. The department will station officers along Babcock Street, Bay State Road, Warren Towers, Student Village II, 10 Buick Street, Myles Standish Hall, and the Buswell Street/Park Drive area.
Traffic around Kenmore Square will swell between September 1 and 4 as the Red Sox play home games at Fenway Park (game times are 7:10 pm on 9/1 and 9/2, 4:10 pm on 9/3, and 1:35 pm on 9/4).
Matriculation will be held at Agganis Arena on Sunday, September 4, at 2 pm, closing the BU Bridge intermittently between 12:45 and 1:45 pm that day for the student procession to the ceremony.
Both Move-in and Matriculation come during the monthlong shutdown for repairs to Boston’s MBTA Orange Line subway and the partial shutdown of the Green Line between Boston’s Government Center and Somerville’s Union Square. While not directly affecting BU, and although authorities are replacing trains with shuttle buses during the closures, commuters spilling over into alternate travel routes could cause ripple effects in various parts of the city.
“We have no plans to alter our schedules right now,” Molloy says, “but that may change as we observe the implications” of the subway shutdowns. Ditto for the BU Shuttle (BUS) service.
“The Orange Line shuttles will serve the Mass Ave MBTA stop where the BUS also stops, therefore we don’t expect an increase in ridership from those who typically connect there,” says Timothy Dunn, Parking & Transportation Services assistant director of operations. “We will monitor things, though, just to be sure, and make any adjustments as needed.”
During Move-in, the BUS will operate its weekday summer service schedule on its 1BU route between the Charles River and Medical Campuses, with the exception of Labor Day, Monday, September 5. Saturday 1BU service remains unchanged; a Commonwealth Avenue loop route will be added for Charles River Campus travel on Sunday, September 4, and Monday, September 5. Late night service will begin on Saturday, September 3. Full academic-year shuttle service will begin on Tuesday, September 6, along the 1BU, Comm Ave loop, and Fenway routes.
The University has also made provision for early-bird arrivals before Move-in starts, including about 400 participants and 134 leaders and coordinators in this year’s First-Year Student Outreach Project (FYSOP), running August 29 through September 2.
Other Move-in procedures, per the University’s Housing site:
- Students must have a confirmed appointment before arrival. And only those compliant with BU’s COVID vaccination requirements will have access to the BU Housing Portal to schedule their move-in time and day.
- If you need to change your Move-in day or time, log on to the Housing Portal, cancel your original selection, and select a new day and time from the remaining available appointment times.
- On arrival, go to your designated Move-in location to officially check in. Don’t move in until after checking in. Before arriving at your check-in location, you must sign in to the Housing Portal on a mobile device and navigate to the Assignment History section. There will be a QR code in this section, which you must show to a Residence Life staff member to check in.
- You may bring up to two helpers to assist you with moving into your room.
- Face coverings are recommended, but not required, for all students and their helpers. Find detailed COVID resources and compliance rules here.
- If you are a new student, your BU Terrier Card will be available upon arrival at your check-in location. If you did not accept the previous invitation to upload your photo to the Terrier Card Office so that your card could be ready on arrival, follow the instructions here to upload your photo. You must have a Terrier Card to complete COVID-19 testing requirements and access your campus residence and the dining halls.
- If you placed personal belongings into the UPS Store summer storage program, your items will be available in designated areas near your check-in location. Follow the signs to locate your storage return location.
Students should download and print their temporary Move-in parking permit for display on their dashboard when parked in approved BU parking locations. Some of the approved parking lots may have a lowered parking gate; the QR code on your permit can be scanned at entrance and exit kiosks to raise gates. While you can use your phone to capture the QR code for use when scanning to raise these gates, you must still display your permit on your dashboard.
To accommodate Move-in, permit holder access to the following parking facilities will be restricted or limited from Monday, August 29th through Monday, September 5th:
- Agganis Arena Outer Lot (C-2): CLOSED
- Langsam Garage and Lot (B): LIMITED PARKING
- Warren Towers Garage (K): LIMITED PARKING
BU dining halls and retail outlets
Check Dining Services for hours of service at four all-you-can-eat dining rooms and 20-plus campus eateries. Students should download and set up the GrubHub Campus Dining App to make purchases in all BU Dining retail locations.
Helpful reminder: To access the Fitness and Recreation Center, new full-time students need to sign their online waiver to activate their BUIDs to swipe. Go here:
Barnes & Noble at BU will be open from 10am to 8pm all the way through move-in.
Order your course materials at bu.bncollege.com, choose campus pick up, and we will have your order waiting for you when you arrive! Also, don’t forget to stop by to check out new BU gear and pick up a good book for the trip home.
Good luck with move-in!