Minors in Education
The Wheelock College of Education & Human Development sponsors five minors for students enrolled in any school or college within Boston University. Minors are offered in Applied Human Development, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Deaf Studies, Education, Mathematics Education, and Special Education. Note: Wheelock minors do not meet the requirements for teacher licensure, although some coursework may be applied to courses of study leading to licensure.
Students intending to declare a minor must complete a Minor Declaration form in the records/advising offices of their home school.
The Education minor is offered to undergraduate students at Boston University wishing to enhance their knowledge of education. Requirements include 16 credits of core courses and 8 credits of electives. A grade of C or higher must be attained in all classes applied toward the minor. Only two classes can be counted toward a major and a minor. No more than two classes may be taken at an external institution and applied to a Wheelock minor.
Requirements for the Minor in Education
Core Courses (16 cr)
- SED ED 110 Introduction to Education (4 cr)
- SED ED 111 Educational Technology (1 cr)
- SED ED 2xx Topical Seminar (2 cr)
- SED ED 410 Social Context of Education (2 cr)
- SED ED 412 Civic Context of Education (2 cr)
- SED SE 250 Disability, Education, and Public Policy (4 cr)
Elective Courses (8 cr)
Students choose from the following elective offerings.
- SED CE 500 Introduction to Counseling (4 cr)
- SED CT 522 Character and Ethics Education (4 cr)
- SED DS 502 Adolescent Growth and Development (2 cr)
- SED EC 305 Child Dev. & Early Childhood Education (4 cr)
- SED EC 350 Intro to Early Childhood Education (2 cr)
- SED EC 556 Children’s Literature for the Early Childhood Teacher, Pre-K–2 (2 cr)
- SED EC 557 Classroom-Based Assessment of Young Children, Pre-K–2 (2 cr)
- SED ED 2xx Topical Seminars (2 cr)
- SED HE 221 Foundations of Health Education (2 cr)
- SED LR 501 Teaching of Reading (4 cr)
- SED PE 211 Movement Education: Early Childhood to Adolescence (2 cr)
- SED PE 375 Psychology of Sport (4 cr)
- SED PE 501 Methods of Coaching (4 cr)
- SED SE 401 Special Education: Cognition and Learning (4 cr)
- SED SE 502 Behavioral + Emotional Problems: Characteristics and Methods (4 cr)
- SED SE 503 Learning Disabilities: Characteristics and Methods (4 cr)