Minor in Special Education
The Special Education minor is focused on enabling students to demonstrate an understanding of the impact of all disabilities on individuals and their families, and the necessary educational and public policies to support them with increased understanding of the impact of learning disabilities, emotional behavior disorders, and severe disabilities on children and families.
This minor is open to all BU undergraduate students; however, it may be of particular interest to students intending to work in education, human services, medicine, or law.
The minor in Special Education includes an introductory Special Education course (SE 250 Disability, Education, and Public Policy), courses on specific disabilities, and fieldwork with students with disabilities. The additional 6 elective credits can be selected from courses focused on families with children with disabilities, classroom and behavior management, autism, collaboration, or a more general course in education.
Depending on specific electives taken, in addition, students will demonstrate an understanding of one or more of the following:
- The role of education and schools in society (SED ED 110).
- The impact and support systems for families with children with disabilities (SED SE 533).
- The methods for classroom and behavior management (SED SE 534).
- The etiology, characteristics, and methods for supporting students with autism (SED SE 535).
- The collaboration necessary between families and professionals (SED SE 601).
Core Courses (18 cr)
- SED SE 250 Disability, Education, and Public Policy (4 cr)*
- SED SE 315 Fieldwork: Students with Disabilities (2 cr)
- SED SE 502 Behavioral and Emotional Challenges: Characteristics and Methods (4 cr)
- SED SE 503 Introduction to Learning Disabilities (4 cr)
- SED SE 504 Introduction to Early Childhood Disabilities (2 cr)
- SED SE 505 Introduction to Severe Disabilities (2 cr)
*This course must be taken at the beginning of the minor sequence.
Elective Courses (6 cr)
- SED ED 110 Introduction to Education (4 cr)
- SED SE 533 Families with Children with Disabilities (4 cr)
- SED SE 534 Classroom and Behavior Management (2 cr)
- SED SE 535 Introduction to Autism (2 cr)
- SED SE 601 Parent & Professional Collaboration (2 cr)