Available to: Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Departments
Cost: No charge
- See Getting Started, below.
IS&T offers site licensed software, information, and support for securing your computer and protecting it from viruses and spyware. Encryption is required for any portable electronic device—such as a notebook computer—that contains or may contain Restricted Use Information. Restricted Use Information includes Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, financial account numbers, driver’s license numbers, medical insurance information, and medical records (for full details, see the BU Data Protection Standards).
In the event that a device is lost or stolen, information on that device will be protected from unauthorized access. Regulations and laws that require the state and/or individuals to be notified in the event of the loss of protected data provide safe harbor exemptions from those requirements if the device was fully encrypted. Thus, if an encrypted notebook containing Restricted Use Information is lost or stolen, BU would not be required to report that loss.
- Site-licensed anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- Support pages that explain how to keep your computer safe
- Notebook registration through the BU Police Department
- Encrypts the hard drive to protect against unauthorized access to data in the event that the device is lost or stolen
- Provides a safety mechanism for access to the computer if the encryption key is lost
- Identify restricted use data on a device
What to Expect
This service normally will be available 24 by 7 except for standard change windows, as described in IS&T’s standard policies, procedures, and schedules for making changes.
Assistance with key loss is provided through the IS&T Help Center and follows their hours of operation.
- Start with our Safe Computing page.
- Download free CrowdStrike Falcon software. (BU login name and Kerberos password required)
- Learn about spyware detection and virus removal.
- Learn how to register your notebook with the BU Police.
- Identify restricted use data on your device using Spirion.
- Contact us for more information