Excitement’s in the air. A wide world of energizing events and meetings with your fellow enthusiasts at BU awaits. Not to mention all of the great perks available to registered groups.
Recognized Student Groups
There are so many options to choose from! Check out all our current student groups on Engage! All your groups events, financial transactions, and membership management can be done via Engage.
This process is being evaluated for 2022. View the different benefits and requirements of each road here: If you’re interested in creating a new student group, the application process will take place at the beginning of Fall semester. You will be asked a series of questions necessary to make a thorough recommendation to Dean Battaglino. At the end of this form, you will have the opportunity to add any additional documentation (i.e. potential new constitution, SWOT/C Analysis, Organizational Goals and Objectives, etc.).
Road Change Requests
This process is being evaluated for 2022.
View the different benefits and requirements of each road here:
If you’re interested in creating a new student group, the application process will take place at the beginning of Fall semester.
You will be asked a series of questions necessary to make a thorough recommendation to Dean Battaglino. At the end of this form, you will have the opportunity to add any additional documentation (i.e. potential new constitution, SWOT/C Analysis, Organizational Goals and Objectives, etc.).
New Group Recognition Requests
We accept applications for new groups at the end of the spring semester, but wait! Before you start, you’ll need:
- Names and BU emails for your group’s four required officers—your president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer.
- A description of your group. Have a look at what a good one includes.
- The rules and policies governing your organization—your constitution. A constitution often covers your group’s official name and any unofficial name you plan to use, as well as the purposes, membership bylaws, election processes, financial requirements, and officer or board roles and responsibilities.
Once you’ve compiled all of the information, you can submit an application through engage.
Applying and gathering information can be a long process. You can always save your application and continue working on it later. And remember, any time you need help, give us a shout.
For more details, please consult our New Student Group FAQ!
Acceptance & Notification
Student Activities reviews all applications and makes a decision on whether a group should receive recognition. After submitting your application via Engage, you will receive an email from an SAO Staff Member if further information is required.
For some potential student groups, the process may take longer if additional review is necessary.
You can always contact the Student Activities Office staff for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certain types of student groups need approval from sources beyond Student Activities. Here are some guidelines.
- You’ll need to submit an addition application to Religious Life (found on the Religious Life Website) and schedule a presentation with the Religious Life Council (RLC).
- The council makes recommendations to our office for the formation of new student religious groups.
- While you are going through the approval process with RLC, your organization may follow the steps outlined above to gain recognition from Student Activities as a new group at BU.
- At BU, student honor societies are typically affiliated with a school or college. The faculty advisor for your society must send a letter of support to the affiliated school or college’s dean.
- That dean will then send a letter to the Provost recommending the society for approval.
- Once the Provost approves your group and sends a letter to Student Activities, you can follow the steps above to register with Student Activities.
Social Greek Organizations
- The first step is to get support from the relevant governing council, whether the Interfraternity, Panhellenic, or Multicultural Greek Council.
- Proceed as outlined above to request recognition of your group through Student Activities.