How do I start a new student organization?
Before you begin, you’ll want the details for different types of organizations and the information you’ll need to get started. When you have all the pieces ready to go, you’ll submit an application—accepted in September each year for review.
For more details, check out the New Student Group FAQ!
We just elected new officers for my group. What do I need to do next?
- Update your roster and officer positions on Engage and any social media outlets or websites you maintain.
- If your elections occurred in the late spring semester, don’t forget to re-register your organization with the new officers in positions and be sure to add a start and end date.
Who can serve as an advisor and/or chaperone for my organization?
There are criteria advisors must agree to meet, but any exempt Boston University faculty or staff member is eligible to be your group’s advisor and/or chaperone.
What do posters for my group’s events need to include?
- Your organization’s name
- The date, time, and location of your event
- “Boston University,” spelled out in full, no abbreviations
- Optionally, your group’s BU email, website, or social media info. You may not include anyone’s personal contact information or website.
Read more about promoting your group’s activities.
What happens to my weekly meeting reservation on a holiday or a switch day?
If it is a holiday Monday and the University is closed, your weekly meeting can still occur if your booking is in CAS, the GSU, or the Sargent Activities Center. All other buildings are typically closed on long weekends. Please note, technology support may be unavailable on University holidays.
On switch days (when Monday classes are held on a Wednesday for example) your reservation does not transfer. Monday recurring bookings are cancelled. Wednesday recurring meetings are also cancelled. You may request a one time meeting on the switch day via Engage. Make sure you do so well in advance to ensure you can secure an appropriate space.
To double check what days are holidays and switch days check out the Registrar’s calender.
How do I maintain my organization?
You’ll need to re-register each year. Re-registration for groups to remain active for the coming academic year will occur in the spring semester. For example, groups intending to remain active for 2018-9 must re-register in spring 2018. The re-registration process takes place on Engage.