- Education:Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy, University of Lowell, Lowell, MA
General Hospital Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA
Advanced Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, Post-professional Masters of Science, Massachusetts
Doctor of Physical Therapy, Massachusetts General Hospital Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA
Scholarly, Research, and/or Practice Interests
- Acute care physical therapy, orthopedic and oncology clinical care, exercise interventions and outcomes for hip fracture, arthritis, arthroplasty, and oncology patients.
Spring, Year 1
- Primary instructor, PT 522 Musculoskeletal Systems II-Lower Extremity
This is the second in a series of three for the musculoskeletal systems. It is designed to provide the student with the necessary skills for prevention, examination, evaluation, and intervention of musculoskeletal disorders of the lower extremities. The student will build upon the systems approach to patient care. Specifically, this course will teach the student how to determine which impairments are related to specific functional limitations and disabilities of the individual with lower extremity disorders. It will consider lower extremity disorders throughout the life span, as well as throughout the natural history (acute through chronic) of the problem. An eclectic approach to interventions will be stressed. Laboratory sessions will develop the student’s skills in examination and intervention techniques to address lower extremity musculoskeletal disorders.
Fall, Year 2
- Primary instructor, PT 634 Diagnostics Procedures for Rehabilitation Professionals
This course will identify and describe various modes of imaging techniques and tests used in medical practice for the neuromusculoskeletal, cardiovascular, and pulmonary systems. The process of diagnosis in the context of the physical therapist’s practice will be discussed. Identification of basic radiological pathology and tests results that directly impact physical therapy care and prognostication will be emphasized, as well as integration of test/imaging results in the physical therapy evaluation and plan of care. Correlation of test results with clinical examination findings will be emphasized to allow the student to engage in professional dialogue with other health care providers, including collaboration with radiologists. Diagnostic procedures covered in the course will include but not be limited to: X-ray, CT scan, MRI, bone scan, fluoroscopy, PET, SPECT, EMG/NCV, ECG, echocardiogram, thallium scan, exercise testing, cardiac catheterization, angiogram, MRA, CBC, electrolytes, lipid profiles, cardiac enzymes, and oncology markers.
- Latham NK, Harris BA, Bean JF, Heeren T, Goodyear C, Zawacki S, Heislein DM, Mustafa J, Pardasaney P, Giorgetti M, Holt N, Goehring L, Jette AM. Effect of a Home-Based Exercise Program on Functional Recovery Following Rehabilitation After Hip Fracture A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA2014;311(7):700-708. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.469.
- Ip, EW, Heislein DM. Osteoporosis Identification and Management for the Physical Therapist. Orthopaedic Practice.2012, 24(2):68-76.
- Keysor JJ, Heislein DM. Physical activity considerations among people with knee and hip osteoarthritis. Int J Clin Rheumatol. 2010;5:659-667.
- Heislein, DM. Hip Arthroplasty. Joint Arthroplasty: Advances in Surgical Management and Rehabilititation. APTA Orthopedic Section Independent Study Course 20.2, 2010.
- Heislein DM, Bonanno AM. Effects of Exercise on Quality of Life and Functional Performance for Patients Undergoing Treatment for Gastrointestinal Cancer. Rehabilitation Oncology 2009;27(1):3-8.
- Heislein DM, Shervin N. Rubash, HE. Physical Rehabilitation after Total Knee Arthroplasty. In: Magee, Zachazewski, Quillin eds. Pathology and Intervention in Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. St. Louis: Elsevier Saunders, 2009.
- Savidge ET, Hariri S, Heislein DM Rubash H. Physical Rehabilitation after Total Hip Arthroplasty. In: Magee, Zachazewski, Quillin eds. Pathology and Intervention in Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. St. Louis: Elsevier Saunders, 2009.
- Sullivan M, Heislein DM, Doherty R, Fishbein R. Rehabilitation Principles After Total Knee Arthroplasty. In: Callaghan, Rosenberg, Rubash et al, eds. The Adult Knee. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003.
- Heislein DM, Current Topics in Joint Arthroplasty. BU Alumni Symposium, Boston, MA, Sept. 2013.
- Heislein DM, Diagnostic Imaging for the Upper Quarter. Examination and Intervention of the Upper Quadrant using Manual Therapy, Exercise, and a Patient Centered Approach Course, Boston University, Boston MA, Mar. 2014.
- Heislein, DM. Osteoporosis: Building Better Bones with Exercise. Massachusetts Chapter APTA Spring Combined SIG Meeting, Waltham, MA, April 2012.
- Cramme S, Heislein DM. A framework for a systems approach to treating patients with oncological diagnoses. Combined Sections Meeting, APTA, New Orleans, LA Feb 2011.
- Heislein DM, Bonanno AM. Cancer rehabilitation across the continuum of care-what is the role of PT. Massachusetts Chapter APTA Annual Meeting, Danvers, MA Nov 2010.
- Heislein DM, Building Better Bones with Exercise. 26^th Annual Summer
Series on Aging. University of Kentucky College of Public Health,
Lexington, Kentucky, June 2009.
- Heislein, DM, Osteoarthritis: Current Evidence to Support Therapeutic Interventions. Shaughnessy-Kaplan Rehabilitation Hospital, Salem, MA December 2008.
- Heislein DM, The Importance of Physical Activity and Exercise on Bone and Joint Health. Keynote Address for the Michigan Coalition for Bone Health & Michigan Arthritis Collaborative Partnership Conference, Lansing, Michigan, May 2007.
- Bonanno A, Heislein DM. Effects of Exercise on Quality of Life and Functional Performance for Patients Undergoing Treatment for Gastrointestinal Cancer. Combined Sections Meeting, APTA, Boston, Massachusetts. Feb 2007.
- Heislein DM, How Should Patients with Arthritis Exercise? MA Chapter APTA Geriatric Special Interest Group, Medford Massachusetts, Oct 2006.
- Heislein DM, Total Hip Arthroplasty Rehabilitation Considerations NAON Conference, MGH, Boston, Massachusetts, Jan 2002.
- Heislein DM, Regaining Strength and Stamina-5th Annual Survivor’s Conference MGH Cancer Center, Boston Massachusetts, Sept 2001.
- Heislein DM, Exercise to Prevent Osteoporosis-Menopause: Unlocking the Mysteries Symposium. MGH Women’s Health and Vincent Obstetrics and Gynecology, April 2001.
- Heislein DM, Rehabilitation Considerations in the Limb Salvage Patient. Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Jan 2001.
Consulting and Professional Activities
- APTA NEXT conference 2014, Annual conference 2013, abstract reviewer
- Imaging Handbook for Physical Therapists. Harris J. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Textbook Reviewer
- ABPTS OCS Recertification portfolio reviewer
- Heislein DM, Rehabilitation Following Joint Arthroplasty, MIT Women’s League Aging Successfully Lecture “Angular Momentum: Replacing Cranky Joints.” MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Apr 2006.
- Fundamentals of Musculoskeletal Imaging, 2nd Ed. McKinnis L. FA Davis. Textbook review; Mar 2007
- Joint Motion and Functional Assessment. Clarkson HM. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Textbook review; July 2007
Awards and Honors
- Sargent College Dean Summer Scholarship Award 2010, 2014
Licensing and Certification
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Division of Registration in Allied Health Professions: Massachusetts License in Physical Therapy
- Board Certified Orthopedic Clinical Specialist 1992 to present