Initial F-1 Visa Application

Most international students will be sponsored for the F-1 student status for the duration of their academic program of study. Once you have been admitted to a program of study and you have submitted all required documents to the admission office, Boston University will send issue a Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. You will use this official immigration document to apply for an F-1 student visa, travel to enter the U.S. in F-1 student status and maintain F-1 student immigration status for the duration of your studies and any approved periods of employment authorization post-graduation.

Please see Guidelines to Apply for the F-1 Student Visa for step-by-step instructions about the initial F-1 visa application process. In addition, watch the video below for an overview of the F-1 visa application process.

Please contact a member of the ISSO should you have questions or want more details about the F-1 student status or how to apply for a U.S. visa.