Senior Research Scientist
- Title Senior Research Scientist
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone (617)353-1547
- Education Ph.D., St. Petersburg State University, Russia
M.S., St. Petersburg State University, Russia
Dr. Jorstad’s primary interest is in physics of relativistic jets of active galactic nuclei (AGN).
- Kinematics of parsec-scale jets of gamma-ray blazars with the Very Long Baseline Array at 43 GHz (www.bu.edu/blazars/VLBAproject.html)
- Studies of Emission Mechanisms in blazars based on multi-wavelength observations from radio wavelengths to gamma-rays
- Studies of the magnetic field in blazars with multi-wavelength polarization observations
- Search for emission line variability in gamma-ray blazars
- Studies of accretion disk – jet connection in AGN
- Imaging black hole shadows with the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT)
Dr. Jorstad is an active user of the Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA, NRAO), Perkins Telescope and Discovery Channel Telescope of Lowell Observatory (Flagstaff, AZ) and NASA space facilities as the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope and Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory. Dr. Jorstad is a member of the EHT collaboration, POLAMI (Polarimetric Monitoring of AGN at Millimeter Wavelengths) collaboration, and IXPE (Imaging X-ray Polarimetry Explorer) team.
Honors: Honors Annual Premium of St. Petersburg State University of the First Degree awarded in 1994 for series of papers on variable sources in active galactic nuclei (with Profs. V.A. Hagen-Thorn and V.A. Yakovleva)