Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Title Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Office 1010 Commonwealth Avenue, 3rd Floor, 320
- Email email@example.com
- Education Ph.D. University of Vienna
M.S. Vienna University of Technology
B.S. Tehran Azad University
Reza Rawassizadeh holds a Ph.D. of Computer Science from University of Vienna, a Master’s degree from the Vienna University of Technology, and a Bachelor’s degree from Tehran Azad University (Central Branch).
His research interest focuses on ubiquitous technologies including wearables, mobile devices and robots. He has made notable contributions in designing resource efficient, on-device machine learning algorithms to operate on small battery-powered devices such as smartwatches or fitness trackers, without any network requirement.
For several AI-based companies, he serves as the senior or chief scientific advisor.
Reza’s personal homepage is available under this link: https://sites.google.com/view/rezar
- On-device machine learning and data mining
- Human computer interaction with mobile and wearable devices
- Digital health
- Ubiquitous and pervasive computing, including wearables and robotics.
Selected Recent Publications
- Ji, X., Sungu-Eryilmaz, Y., Momeni, E., & Rawassizadeh, R. (2022). Speeding Up Question Answering Task of Language Models via Inverted Index. arXiv preprint https://arxiv.org/pdf/2210.13578.pdf.
- Rawassizadeh, R. & Rong, Y. (2022). ODSearch: Fast and Resource Efficient On-device Natural Language Search for Fitness Trackers’ Data. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3569488. ACM Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT). British Computing Society Search Industry Award (Best Search User Experience).
- Javaheri, T, Homayounfar, M., Amoozgar, Z. , Reiazi, R., Homayounieh, F., Abbas, E., Laali, A., Radmard, A .R., Gharib, H., Mousavi, S.A.J., Ghaemi, O., Hosseizadeh, M., Seidi, K., Jahanban-Esfahlan, R., Klara, M., Zhang, G., Chitkushev, L.T., Haibe-Kains, B., Malekzadeh, R., Rawassizadeh, R. (2021). CovidCTNet: An Open-source Deep Learning Approach to Diagnose Covid-19 using Small Cohort of CT Images. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41746-021-00399-3 Nature Partner Journal, Digital Medicine 4, 29 (2021). Best New Algorithm for AI, The Global Annual Achievement Awards for Artificial Intelligence.
- Gan, Y., Wang, T., Javaheri, A., Momeni-Ortner, E., Dehghani, M., Hosseinzadeh, M., Rawassizadeh, R. (2021) 11 Years with Wearables: Quantitative Analysis of Social Media, Academia, News Agencies and Lead User Community from 2009-2020 on Wearable Technologies. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3448096. ACM Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT), Volume: 5, Number: 1.
- Wang, T., Gan, Y., Arena, S., Chitkushev, L., Zhang, G., Rawassizadeh, R. (2021). A Review of Advances for Indoor Fitness Tracking, Coaching, and Motivation. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9325034. In IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Magazine. Volume 7, Issue 1. 4-14.
Visit Google Scholar for a full list of scholarly works.
Recent Press Releases and Media Appearances
- Use SEFR (ML) on Arduino Nano for Color Recognition. https://www.hackster.io/alankrantas/use-sefr-ml-on-arduino-nano-for-color-recognition-b59e24
- Designing Transparent and Explainable Computer Aided-Diagnosis – Building a Framework to Analyze Histopathology Images of the Kidney. http://www.bu.edu/ihsip/2020/09/17/designing-transparent-and-explainable-computer-aided-diagnosis
- (Chinese) SEFR 演算法：可在 Arduino Uno 等低耗能微控制器運行的高速多元線性分類器. https://rb.gy/sy5jgq
- Dr. Reza Rawassizadeh and Team Produce Deep Learning Model to Identify COVID-19 Infection – 2020 http://www.bu.edu/csmet/2020/07/31/reza-rawassizadeh/
- SEFR Algorithm Performs Image Classification, Including Training, on an Arduino Uno or Other MCU – 2020 https://www.hackster.io/news/sefr-algorithm-performs-image-classification-including-training-on-an-arduino-uno-or-other-mcu-8a707c2e18aa#
- SEFR is a binary classifier for Arduino and other ultra-low power devices – 2020. official Twitter account of Arduino. https://twitter.com/arduino/status/1282686700200890368