Boston has some of the cleanest drinking water in the country, and Campus Planning & Operations works with the Boston Water and Sewer Commission to ensure that the BU community has ready access to it.
In partnership with BU Sustainability, CPO is continuously working to identify and implement opportunities throughout the campus—from innovative technologies to behavioral changes—that reduce water waste.
Staff can implement changes on their own by working within their budgets to purchase items such as energy-saving shower heads, without having to go through time-consuming approval channels. Anytime BU renovates a space, water-saving upgrades are always included in the project.
To help conserve water on campus:
- Report all water leaks and clogs to the Operations Service Center if you’re on the CRC of Fenway Campus, and the Control Center if you’re on the Med Campus.
- Limit showers to five minutes or less.
- Shut off faucets when brushing your teeth, shaving, and washing dishes.
- Operate washing machines and dishwashers only when full, and on economy cycle.
- Keep a bottle in the refrigerator instead of running the tap water until it’s cold.
- Instead of discarding small amounts of water left in drinking glasses, your pet’s bowl, or from cooking, use it to water house plants.