Explore the world of ideas. Earn an MFA or PhD from the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences at BU.
The academic history of the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences is rich with leaders of research and thought, innovators whose impacts have changed lives. The Graduate School offers MFA programs in Creative Writing and Playwriting, and 30 PhD programs in the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities. In keeping with the collaborative teaching and research culture that exists across BU, the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences partners in many graduate programs across the University, such as PhD programs in molecular biology, cell biology & biochemistry; bioinformatics; and neuroscience. Our programs reflects our strength as the heart of a major research university, and the devotion of our faculty to teaching and mentoring, and the many advantages of our location in Boston.
We invite you to explore your program of interest.
When you are ready to take the next step, we welcome you to apply.
If you have questions, we are here to help. Contact us.
Qualifications for Admission
Those who have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or with equivalent international education may apply.
- Your undergraduate program should include introductory studies in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences; completion of specified courses without credit may be required to make up any deficiency.
- You may apply to a PhD program if you have a bachelor’s degree (if you hold a 3-year degree, you may be required to complete a one-year’s master’s degree program or post-graduate diploma in a relevant subject).
- You may apply to any program if you have both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree.
- You may not enroll simultaneously in more than one graduate program unless the programs are part of a BU-approved combined degree.
- If you have twice been rejected for admission to the same degree program, you must submit a letter of approval for application from the current director of graduate studies in the department to which you seek admission.