Financing Your Graduate Education
Welcome! Making an investment in your graduate education is a wise decision, but we understand that navigating the financial aid process can feel overwhelming. We recognize the financial commitment of an advanced degree, and it is our mission in the Financial Aid office in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences to provide you with the resources necessary to finance your graduate education.
Several programs in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences offer merit-based scholarships to our incoming master’s students. In addition, graduate students may apply for federal and private educational loans. Numerous on-campus and off-campus employment opportunities are also available.
- Federal Unsubsidized Loans
- Credit-Based Loans (Federal PLUS & Private)
- Federal Work Study is a program for U.S. citizens and permanent residents that promotes access to employment for students who demonstrate financial need. Available funds are provided by a federal allocation and a University matching contribution. Recipients are selected by the Graduate School Financial Aid Office and must meet the federal need and other criteria. Student income verification is required for all students wishing to be considered for work-study. Application deadlines are May 1 for Academic Year awards and March 1 for Summer awards. Please contact the Graduate School Financial Aid Office for more information and an application.
- Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships: The African Studies Center has a limited amount of funding for graduate students in the form of Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships. For more information on FLAS Fellowships, please see the African Studies Center.
- The Student Employment Office works with currently enrolled students to assist them in their on-campus employment endeavors, through the Job Board and Quickie Job Services. Student Employment also assists students with the Payroll process.
Additional Graduate Funding
Other Loan Programs Loan Programs for International Students
Financial Aid Information Session 2022
Financial Aid may not exceed your total Cost of Attendance. When estimating the total cost of attendance at GRS, you will need to consider BU medical insurance and living expenses such as housing, transportation, etc.
Apply for Admission Admissions FAQ Contact Us
The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for all GRS students eligible for financial aid is as follows: Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
GRS Financial Aid Policies
The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for all GRS students eligible for financial aid is as follows:
Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
Contact us with any questions that you may have regarding the financial aid process. We are available Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm.