CAGS/MSD in Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Students will be competent clinicians and will demonstrate evidence-based knowledge and techniques in diagnosis and treatment planning and competency in technical skills.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to think critically in evaluation of the scientific literature, leading to a hypothesis-based research project culminating in a thesis.
- Students will be competent in patient management with patients of all ages.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to provide quality patient care in the specialty of orthodontics.
The overall goal of the Advanced Orthodontic Training Program is to educate competent individuals to practice orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics. This 36-month combined MSD and certificate program in orthodontics is designed to satisfy the training requirements of the Council on Dental Education and Licensure of the American Dental Association as well as complete the requirements for a Master of Science degree in Dentistry. The curriculum is arranged so that approximately half the time is devoted to clinical training. The remainder of the program is devoted to lectures and seminars in the basic sciences and clinical subjects related to orthodontics as well as research. The master’s degree requirements include a research project, its defense, and a publishable manuscript.
The intent of the program is to educate students to become competent clinicians who can successfully analyze and treat dentofacial deformities.
Emphasis is placed on craniofacial growth and development, cephalometrics, biomechanics, occlusion, and neuromuscular physiology.
The program provides the formal educational requirements as well as patient cases for the examinations of the American Board of Orthodontics.
- SDM OB 830 Research Writing
- SDM OR 801 Orthodontic Fundamentals
- SDM OR 803 Clinical Growth and Development
- SDM OR 805 Orthodontic Seminar I
- OR 805.3 Diagnosis & Treatment Planning
- OR 805.4 Zen and the Way of Orthodontics
- OR 805.5 Orthognathic Surgery
- OR 805.6 Removable Aligner Treatment
- SDM OR 806 Technique and Wirebending
- SDM OR 808 Biomechanics
- SDM OR 810 Digital Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
- SDM OR 811 Orthodontic Clinical Practice
- SDM OR 815A Interdisciplinary Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment of Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders
- SDM OR 817 Temporary Anchorage Devices
- SDM OR 830 Research Highlights
- SDM OR 900 Case Presentation
- SDM OR 910 Literature Review
- SDM OR 950 Diagnosis and Occlusion
- SDM OR 991 Research
- SDM OS 831 Head and Neck Anatomy
- SDM OS 866 Orthodontics-Orthognathic Surgery Conference
- SDM PE 817 Seminar: Grand Rounds
- SDM PH 763 Bioethics and Law
- SDM PH 803 Biostatistics
- SDM OR 807 Biologic Foundation of Orthodontics
- SDM OR 812 Orthodontic Clinical Practice
- SDM OR 814 Practice Management
- SDM OR 816 Orthodontic Treatment in Mixed Dentition
- SDM OR 821 Orthodontic Seminar II
- OR 821.1 The Efficiency and Business of Orthodontics
- OR 821.2 ABO Review
- OR 821.3 Orthognathic Surgery
- SDM OR 846 Progress Case Presentations
- SDM OR 901 Case Presentation
- SDM OR 920 Literature Review
- SDM OR 951 Diagnosis and Occlusion
- SDM OR 992 Research: Orthodontics
- SDM OS 868 Orthodontics-Orthognathic Surgery Conference
- SDM PE 818 Seminar: Grand Rounds
- SDM OR 813 Orthodontic Clinical Practice
- SDM OR 815B Interdisciplinary Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment of Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders
- SDM OR 831 Orthodontic Seminar III
- OR 831.2 Finishing and Retention
- OR 831.3 Practice Alternatives
- SDM OR 902 Case Presentation
- SDM OR 920 Literature Review
- SDM OR 952 Diagnosis and Occlusion
- SDM OR 993 Research: Orthodontics
- SDM OS 869 Orthodontics-Orthognathic Surgery Conference
- SDM PE 819 Seminar: Grand Rounds
Completion is not tracked by credit accumulation but by successful completion of individual courses and duration requirements.