MA in Political Science
The department does not have a regular MA program and does not accept applications for that degree. Most students interested in the study of political science at the graduate level are admitted to the PhD program. We will award an MA to a PhD student who requests it, has completed all credit requirements, and has passed the Qualifying Examinations at a master’s level.
- Demonstrate a minimum level of competence in five of the six fields of political science (American politics, public policy, comparative politics, international relations, political theory, and methodology) through successful completion of coursework.
- Demonstrate a moderate level of competence in one of these fields, via either a comprehensive exam or a thesis.
Required MA Courses
A minimum of 8 four-credit courses is required. Required coursework includes:
- At least two graduate-level field seminars from among GRS PO 711, 751, 771, and 791
- Two methods courses from among GRS PO 840, 841, 842, 843, and 844
- Four elective courses at the 500 level or higher