Certificate in Graphic Design
Boston University’s Certificate in Graphic Design is a program that offers students a one-year, full-time intensive study in graphic design. The program includes core graphic design studio, design history, and typography requirements and allows students to self-select elective courses based on their specific interests and career goals. This is a unique, full-time residency program that provides students who have little prior coursework in graphic design the advanced training and critical thinking skills needed for enhanced professional opportunities. Additionally, this program prepares students for further study in an MFA program.
Students in the Certificate in Graphic Design program receive individual work areas in spacious open communal studios, creating a strong sense of community within the graduate program.
After one year of study, students receive a Certificate in Graphic Design. If students desire, they may apply to the Master of Fine Arts in Graphic Design upon completion of the certificate program. Note that the Master of Fine Arts program is a two-year program. Credits from the certificate do not transfer to the Master of Fine Arts program.
The College of Fine Arts policy on Academic Standing for Graduate Students applies to the certificate program. All students in the program must maintain a 3.0 GPA and receive grades no lower than B– to remain in good academic standing.
Students in the Certificate in Graphic Design program will be expected to:
- Demonstrate artistic, intellectual, and disciplinary engagement.
- Develop an effective graphic design process and master key principles of design through programmatic studio work and discourse.
- Use this design process to shape content across multiple/myriad mediums and to targeted audiences.
- Achieve a measurable degree of advancement in and fulfillment of craft and technical improvement through creative work, reading, writing, and presentation.
- Develop an appreciation of design as a holistic practice and learn factors influencing past/present/future models through historical and contemporary engagement.
- Develop a significant body of knowledge and skills sufficient for evaluation and a professional proficiency observable in work.
Certificate in Graphic Design Curriculum
This program requires completion of 30 credits in continuous, sequential semesters, and generally takes one year to complete. Admission is in fall only.
|CFA AR 781, 782 Certificate Graphic Design Studio (fall and spring semesters)||16 cr|
|CFA AR 505 Certificate Typography (fall semester)||4 cr|
|CFA AR 580 History of Graphic Design (fall semester)||4 cr|
|Graphic Design studio electives (2 or 4 cr courses, spring semester)||6 cr|
|Total credits||30 cr|
For application information, please visit our website.