Available to: Students, Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Guests
Cost: No charge
- See Getting Started, below.
The people.bu.edu service is a place for individuals at BU to publish their own websites. We provide you with a web address and a directory on the server. You maintain your own pages and upload them to the server when you are ready to publish.
You get a web directory with a home page and links to sample pages you can copy. You can also create your own pages from scratch. You control all aspects of the site design and content. You upload files with SFTP.
- Disk space – You start with 50MB of space (100MB for faculty). Request more if needed.
- Security – All sites are hosted in on-campus data centers and feature 24×7 monitoring, data redundancy, and backup services.
What to Expect
This service normally will be available 24 by 7 except for standard change windows, as described in IS&T’s standard policies, procedures, and schedules for making changes.
- Only sites existing prior to September 17, 2015 are supported on people.bu.edu.
- Knowledge of HTML or a commercial HTML editor (such as Dreamweaver).
- An SFTP client to upload files (or one built into your HTML editor).
- Websites for students and individual publishers must carry a link to the Disclaimer for Student and Personal Websites.
- Sites for individuals, student groups, projects, and events that have remained inactive for 2 years may be subject to removal if IS&T cannot verify a site status or the site owner or admin is no longer affiliated with the University.
- See related links on this page to read more about support for legacy sites on people.bu.edu.