Available to: Students, Faculty, Researchers, Staff, Guests
Cost: No charge
- See Getting Started, below.
The people.bu.edu service is a place for individuals at BU to develop their own websites. We provide you with a web address and a directory on the server. You maintain your own pages and upload them to the server when you are ready to publish. If you are not comfortable with HTML or creating websites from scratch, you should use blogs.bu.edu instead.
You get a web directory with a home page and links to sample pages you can copy. You can also create your own pages from scratch. You control all aspects of the site design and content. You can upload files with FTP, or telnet to the server to create and edit files directly.
- Disk space – You start with 50MB of space (100MB for faculty). Request more if needed.
- Forms – Process input from forms using Pony Express.
- Statistics – Site reports are generated once a month.
- Security – All sites are hosted in on-campus data centers and feature 24×7 monitoring, data redundancy, and backup services.
What to Expect
This service normally will be available 24 by 7 except for standard change windows, as described in IS&T’s standard policies, procedures, and schedules for making changes.
- Domain eligibility is based upon how the website will be used. Please see the Website Services Matrix for more information.
- Knowledge of HTML or a commercial HTML editor (such as Dreamweaver).
- An SFTP client to upload files (or one built into your HTML editor).
- Websites for students and individual publishers must carry a link to the Disclaimer for Student and Personal Websites.
- Sites for individuals, student groups, projects, and events that have remained inactive for 2 years may be subject to removal if IS&T cannot verify a site status or the site owner or admin is no longer affiliated with the University.