Hey Terriers! Ticket sales for Matt & Kim's exclusive, BU-only performance in...
Excitement’s in the air. A wide world of energizing events and meetings with your fellow enthusiasts at BU awaits. Not to mention all of the great perks available to registered groups.
We accept applications for new groups at the beginning of each Fall and Spring Semester. But wait! Before you start, you’ll need:
- Names and BU emails for your group’s four required officers—your president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer.
- Your roster showing at least 10 additional members.
- The name and email of your advisor—a full-time member of BU’s faculty or exempt staff.
- A description of your group. Have a look at what a good one includes.
- The rules and policies governing your organization—your constitution. A constitution often covers your group’s official name and any unofficial name you plan to use, as well as the purposes, membership bylaws, election processes, financial requirements, and officer or board roles and responsibilities.
You can also request an email address and website for your organization, so think about a BU username that would fit the group well.
Once you’ve compiled all of the information, you can submit an application through YouDo@BU.
Applying and gathering information can be a long process. You can always save your application and continue working on it later. And remember, any time you need help, give us a shout.
Acceptance & Notification
When you’ve submitted, you must contact Student Government’s Student Involvement Board about the review process. You’ll present to them and they’ll make a recommendation to Student Activities.
We try to wrap the approval process within three weeks.
Certain types of student groups need approval from sources beyond Student Activities. Here are some guidelines.
- You’ll need to schedule a presentation with the Religious Life Council (RLC).
- The council makes recommendations to our office for the formation of new student religious groups.
- While you are going through the approval process with RLC, your organization may follow the steps outlined above to gain recognition from Student Activities as a new group at BU.
- At BU, student honor societies are typically affiliated with a school or college. The faculty advisor for your society must send a letter of support to the affiliated school or college’s dean.
- That dean will then send a letter to the Provost recommending the society for approval.
- Once the Provost approves your group and sends a letter to Student Activities, you can follow the steps above to register with Student Activities.
Social Greek Organizations
- The first step is to get support from the relevant governing council, whether the Interfraternity, Panhellenic, or Multicultural Greek Council.
- Proceed as outlined above to request recognition of your group through Student Activities.
Law School, School of Theology, or MBA Program Organizations
You’ll need to get support from your respective governing board before proceeding as usual with registration through Student Activities.