Let the countdown begin! 101 days until graduation. Make this semester count! Student...
Excitement’s in the air. A wide world of energizing events and meetings with your fellow enthusiasts at BU awaits. Not to mention all of the great perks available to registered groups.
Recognized Student Groups
There are so many options to choose from! Check out all our current student groups on OrgSync! All your groups events, financial transactions, and membership management can be done via OrgSync.
New Group Recognition Requests
We accept applications for new groups at the beginning of each Fall and Spring Semester. But wait! Before you start, you’ll need:
- Names and BU emails for your group’s four required officers—your president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer.
- A description of your group. Have a look at what a good one includes.
- The rules and policies governing your organization—your constitution. A constitution often covers your group’s official name and any unofficial name you plan to use, as well as the purposes, membership bylaws, election processes, financial requirements, and officer or board roles and responsibilities.
You can also request an email address and website for your organization, so think about a BU username that would fit the group well.
Once you’ve compiled all of the information, you can submit an application through Orgsync.
Applying and gathering information can be a long process. You can always save your application and continue working on it later. And remember, any time you need help, give us a shout.
For more details, please consult our New Student Group FAQ!
Acceptance & Notification
Once you have submitted this application, we highly recommend you set up a time to meet with the Student Involvement Board (SIB). SIB reviews all applications and makes recommendations to Student Activities on which groups should receive recognition. After submitting your application via OrgSync, you will receive an email from SIB to sign up for a meeting time. This is an opportunity to share your passion and vision for your new student group with SIB. These meetings are also open to the BU student body. You are not required to meet with SIB however, if you are not present during your organization’s review and your club is not recommended for recognition, then you may not appeal the final decision.
The review and decision process generally takes three weeks. For some potential student groups, the process may take longer if additional review is necessary.
You can always contact the Student Involvement Board for more information at email@example.com.
Certain types of student groups need approval from sources beyond Student Activities. Here are some guidelines.
- You’ll need to schedule a presentation with the Religious Life Council (RLC).
- The council makes recommendations to our office for the formation of new student religious groups.
- While you are going through the approval process with RLC, your organization may follow the steps outlined above to gain recognition from Student Activities as a new group at BU.
- At BU, student honor societies are typically affiliated with a school or college. The faculty advisor for your society must send a letter of support to the affiliated school or college’s dean.
- That dean will then send a letter to the Provost recommending the society for approval.
- Once the Provost approves your group and sends a letter to Student Activities, you can follow the steps above to register with Student Activities.
Social Greek Organizations
- The first step is to get support from the relevant governing council, whether the Interfraternity, Panhellenic, or Multicultural Greek Council.
- Proceed as outlined above to request recognition of your group through Student Activities.
Law School, School of Theology, or MBA Program Organizations
You’ll need to get support from your respective governing board before proceeding as usual with registration through Student Activities.