Timeline

Explore by decades:
1910s
1920s
1930s
1940s
1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s
1990s
2000s
1910s
1913

Founded in 1913

University graduate Everett W. Lord establishes the Boston University College of Business Administration on Beacon Hill. Prior to 1913, the idea of offering business courses at the college level was novel and somewhat controversial. The College begins its first classes on October 13 with an initial enrollment of 234 men and 40 women. Professor Charles E. Bellatty teaches the first course in advertising that evening.

1916

The College of Business Administration Expands

The College’s classes have become so popular that the school needs its own building, and moves to the newly renovated Walker Building at 525 Boylston Street, a block from the then-new College of Liberal Arts building.

1917

Emergency War Courses Offered

During WWI, CBA students and faculty serve the United States in various capacities in all the armed services. On the homefront, the College offers war emergency courses designed to train women to fill jobs vacated by enlisted men. Enrollment grows sufficiently to warrant the establishment of the Day Division.

1920s
1920

Campus Property Purchased

Boston University purchases 15 acres between Commonwealth Avenue and the Charles River (now the Charles River Campus) to unify the schools and colleges on a single campus. The property is acquired for approximately $1.7 million, or less than $4 per square foot.

1923

Innovative Short-Term Courses Offered

The College creates innovative, short-term, practical courses for business leaders across a variety of industries and organizations—including the American Institute of Banking, the Boston Real Estate Exchange, and the New England Association of Manufacturing Representatives. These programs become the cornerstone of the College’s commitment to both scholarly and applied research.

1925

Courses Open for New MBA

The College of Business Administration offers its first graduate-level courses leading to an MBA, a relatively new degree at that time (the world’s first program was established in 1908).

1930s
1936

Student Body Reaches 10,000+

Recovering quickly from the enrollment decrease that hit universities across the country during the Great Depression, BU’s students number some 10,384.

1938

Charles River Campus Opens

The Charles River Campus is inaugurated as the cornerstone is laid for the Charles Hayden Memorial Building, which houses the College of Business Administration.

1939

College’s New Home Takes Shape

A decade’s-worth of construction and renovation at 675–755 Commonwealth Avenue begins in preparation for bigger and improved facilities to accommodate the College’s rapid growth. BU celebrates the centennial of its roots as the Newbury Biblical Institute, founded in 1839.

1940s
1941

College Housed on Comm. Ave.

The College of Business Administration moves into the newly finished 685 Commonwealth Avenue (currently home to The Tsai Center). The massive neo-gothic structure would house the College for more than 50 years.

1941

Dean Lord Retires

After 28 years of academic leadership and teaching in the college he founded, Dean Lord retires.

1947

The “T” Established

Formerly a complex web of privately run options, public transit in Boston, including the Green Line “B” Train, is placed under the aegis of the Metropolitan Transit Authority—which will become the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority in 1964.

1950s
1950

College Diversifies Curriculum

Throughout the 1950s, the College adopts an increasingly diverse curriculum as it continues to grow. Coursework incorporates research procedures, time study and cost eliminating, insurance, and foreign trade. The College emphasizes management both in theory and practice—an educational approach we continue today.

1960s
1966

Charles River Campus Completed

All BU’s schools and colleges (except the schools of Medicine and Dental Medicine) are consolidated onto the Charles River Campus, ending a 28-year effort across the terms of two University presidents.

1969

BU Turns 100

A formal celebration is organized around the centennial of Boston University’s original charter with the Massachusetts Legislature in 1869.

1970s
1973

Health Care Management Concentration Launched

In the early 1970s, the SMG faculty and administration assessed needs and BU resources. Analysis showed that health care and public sector management were two “underserved” segments, and became leading candidates for innovation and transformation. When Dean Peter Gabriel arrived in 1973, he saw these programs as the flagship for his “School of Management” vision.

The first of the new programs was the Health Sector Management (HSM) MBA program. Hopkins (Hop) Holmberg served as program director and helped design a masters-level program that was incorporated into the MBA degree program. Faculty from the medical campus, as well as the Charles River campus, contributed to the program which was accredited by the leading health care management body.

1974

Official Renaming: School of Management

The College of Business Administration (CBA) changed its name to the School of Management (SMG), reflecting a need to teach management not only in the traditional context of business administration, but also in the context of a variety of institutions in both the public and private sectors.

1975

Public & Nonprofit Management Concentration Launched

In 1974, the seeds of the Public & Nonprofit Management (PNP) MBA program were sown when program director Bob Weinberg successfully recruited Professors John Russell, Colin Diver, Steve Rosenthal, and others to design an MBA for public sector managers. State and local governments, in particular, needed effective managers to fill the leadership ranks and transform state and local government agencies.

1975

Health Policy Institute Established

The Health Policy Institute opens at Boston University. Today, HPI consists of the Management of Variability Program, the Health Care Entrepreneurship Program, Scholars in Health Policy Research Program, and the Center for Educational Development in Health. HPI is also affiliated with the Boston University Health & Disability Research Institute.

1977

Doctoral Programs Launched

Doctoral education has long been seen as the sign of a school that takes research (creation of new knowledge) as seriously as the distribution of existing knowledge (BSBA and MBA programs).

Dean Gabriel and some faculty wanted to demonstrate that BU would be a creator, as well as a distributor of new knowledge. The key was to find departments that could attract highly qualified students and work with faculty who were top-notch scholars. A few departments demurred from the DBA program at first, but others responded enthusiastically.

By the end of the 1970s, the DBA program was underway. The first graduates included John Mahon who went on to become faculty member, department chair, and associate dean at SMG. He later relocated to the University of Maine where he served as provost.

1980s
1980

Enrollment Reaches 3,000

The School’s enrollment over the decade reaches 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students combined, making it the University’s second largest school.

1981

Human Resources Policy Institute Founded

The Human Resources Policy Institute (HRPI) is formed to study the latest developments in human resource management issues and serve as an information resource for the BU community. School of Management faculty, graduate students, and fellows partner with top-level human resources executives from member companies, discuss the latest trends, benchmark best practices, and sponsor faculty and doctoral-level research.

1985

Entrepreneurial Management Institute Founded

The Entrepreneurial Management Institute (EMI) offers customized education, training, mentoring, networking, and other tools to help create sustainable enterprises that meet important global needs in sectors such as health care, clean energy, and information systems. In 2007, EMI was renamed The Institute for Technology Entrepreneurship & Commercialization (ITEC).

1986

First Computer Labs Installed

Recognizing the need for students to interact with state-of-the-art technology for greater success in their future business endeavors, the School opens its first computer labs.

1990s
September 1991

Louis E. Lataif Named Dean

Then president of Ford of Europe, Louis Lataif agrees to assume academic and administrative leadership of SMG with a vision for an educational approach fusing the art, science, and technology of business.

1992

Undergraduate, Graduate, MBA, and Doctoral Curricula Revised

The School innovates through introducing team-teaching and team-learning classes. New courses that teach Management as a System begin.

1994

New Building Construction Begins

Dean Lataif and BU President John Silber lead a contingent of dignitaries in breaking ground for new state-of-the-art facilities for SMG at 595 Commonwealth Avenue.

October 18 1996

The Rafik B. Hariri Building Officially Opens

His Excellency Rafik B. Hariri, Prime Minister of Lebanon, and the donor of the $10 million naming gift for the building, kicks off dedication activities at the grand opening ceremony for SMG’s new home. For the first time, all of the School’s major assets are united under one roof.

2000s
2000

MS∙MBA Program Introduced

This first-of-its-kind program offers students the opportunity to earn two concurrent master’s degrees: in management and information systems.

2003

Rankings Continue to Rise

The Wall Street Journal ranks SMG’s MBA Program 41st in the US and 45th in the world. Among other rankings from that year, Entrepreneur Magazine named the School one of the top 25 US colleges for entrepreneurs.

March 2006

School Hosts Inaugural Global Case Comp

March 30–April 1, the School hosted the first International Tech Strategy Business Case Competition for MBA teams from the world’s top business schools.

2007

Part-Time Program Ranks 15th in US

In the first-ever Businessweek ranking of part-time MBA programs, BU School of Management ranks 15th nationally. The MBA program also improved 12 spots in The Wall Street Journal’s rankings.

2008

Two New Departments Established

The School forms the Strategy & Innovation and Business Policy & Law departments.

2010

Dean Lataif Retires

After 19 years of leadership, Lou Lataif retires as dean.

August 2010

Kenneth W. Freeman Named Allen Questrom Professor and Dean

The School of Management’s 10th dean, Ken Freeman’s prior experience includes roles as a member of KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co), Chairman & CEO for Quest Diagnostics, and many roles at Corning Incorporated.

2012

SMG Launches Dean’s Speaker Series, Hosts JetBlue, Honeywell, IBM

The School begins its Dean’s Speaker Series, aiming to bring industry leaders into its “living room” for insightful conversation with Dean Freeman. The various speakers, by tapping into their personal experience, provide advice on how to become a successful leader, implement an effective talent management system, guide an organization through a technological transformation, and more. Some of the speakers who have visited include JetBlue CEO David Barger, Honeywell CEO David Cote, VP and CIO of IBM Jeanette Horan (GSM’93), and General Counsel of Fenway Sports Group Ed Weiss.

2013

SMG Celebrates its Centennial Year

The first classes took place on Monday, October 13, 1913. Classes included Elementary Accounting (103 students enrolled), Commercial Law, Commercial Composition and Business English, and Economics. Other offerings included Advertising, Salesmanship, and News Reporting.

Back to top